Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?

Go down 
5 posters

Who would you rather have on the Jazz team?
Alec Burks
Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? I_vote_lcap80%Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? I_vote_rcap
 80% [ 8 ]
Kawhi Leonard
Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? I_vote_lcap20%Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? Empty
PostSubject: Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?   Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? EmptySat May 19, 2012 3:19 pm

In the days leading up to the draft, my buddy and I argued ad nauseum about who the Jazz should draft with their #12 pick. I was hoping for Alec Burks and he was hoping for Kawhi Leonard. When both were available at 12, we placed a friendly wager as to who the Jazz would take. Of course, they took Burks.

Who do you think will be the better pro? Who has the higher ceiling?
I loved what I saw out of Burks this year, but I also am impressed with Leonard.
One big difference is opportunity. Leonard logged 9 minutes a game more than Burks this year.

I personally still think Burks has a higher ceiling, but he still has some things to learn.
I also believe that Leonard is the product of a solid system with a great coach.

Your thoughts??
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?   Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? EmptySat May 19, 2012 5:28 pm

This is a tough one for me, because I was in the Leonard camp before the draft, I thought Leonard should have been a top 10 pick. I saw a ton of him and Jimmer last year and I knew that Leonard was going to be a better NBA player than Jimmer.

They are really different kinds of players so it is tough to really compare them and figure out who's ceiling is higher. I see Leonard's ceiling being like a better rebounding Shane Battier, a defensive stopper that shoots the ball well and does all the little things to help a team win. I see Burks ceiling being a Kevin Martin type volume scorer, a guy that scores points in bunches even when he isn't shooting well because he attacks the rim and draws fouls and who doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in other areas of his game.

Those are two very different types of player, and I don't think I can decide, I really don't...
Back to top Go down
RookieJazz
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?   Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? EmptySat May 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Leonard is a role player. Excellent defender, and he's surprising me from the 3 point line.
But Burks has a chance to be special.
In the draft night and today, Leonard was and is better than Burks.
Long term, Burks has a real chance to be a way better than Leonard.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?   Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? EmptySat May 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Can't make this call yet. I truly have no idea. With what Burks showed, I think he and Kawhi would be equals, if Burks had gotten the same minutes. Although, playing with those Spurs put Kawhi in the perfect position to score etc all the time. Burks had to do more on his own.

I'd lean toward Burks right now, as a higher ceiling. But really like Kawhi.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?   Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? EmptySat May 19, 2012 9:34 pm

I like Kawhi. I think he is a pretty good player and he is surprising me (especially from the 3 pt line) this year. Statistically he is better than Burks in almost every category....scoring PPG average is pretty close to even...but Leonard had nearly 10 minutes a game more to get his.
So, like Mags said, Burks is probably more of a volume scorer that can light it up and put some points on the board. The kid can score the ball....I love how he can get to the line and is generally not afraid to take it to the hoop.
One thing to consider too with the scoring stat (or all stats) is that Burks didn't get a lot of consistent playing time against the better lineups, which Leonard probably did. So, Leonard did better statistically against better talent than Burks did against lesser talent and when the games were no longer on the line.

All in all, I don't regret taking Burks at 12. I think he will be pretty special in 3-5 years. Leonard is pretty darn good too. I was surprised he fell as far as he did in the draft.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?   Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:18 pm

I really like Leonard also. The knock I have on him, is not really a knock. It is amazing how so many players look great for the Spurs. Their system just makes players better. Poppovich is the best X and O coach I have ever seen. Part of me really wonders, if he would be this good if he played for another team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?   Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard? Empty

Back to top Go down

Alec Burks or Kawhi Leonard?
Page 1 of 1