Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  14th roster spot - Page 2 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

14th roster spot

Go down 
+12
Richardale
Jazz Dog
outerspacefan
Crunchtime1
dongibby
The Voice of Reason
zero24gravity
Leoverine
Mutangclan
Romoholic
TheMagnus
therawns
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jazz Dog
Rookie

14th roster spot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 11:16 am

Dong, I usually agree with you but this time I can't. I think Kanter already has helped the Jazz. Coming off the bench last year I believed he helped them. Was he a superstar "no", but he did the things that Corbin asked him to do. Do I expect more from him this year "yes", but I'm not going to worried about it until he gets into camp and has a full training camp to start to learn the big man game. After the season started last year I bet the Jazz were able to "truly" practice not more than 10 times.

I'm wagering this year that he averages .4 points and rebounds for every minute played. Any takers?? If he played 25 minutes a game he would get us a double double. If he only played 20 minutes he would give us 8 points and rebounds. Those are good bench numbers.

Once again, who is with me and who thinks I'm up in the night.

With kind regards,

The Dog
2012 Keeper Champ
2012 A league Champ
2012 B league Champ
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 11:30 am

Jazz Dog wrote:
Dong, I usually agree with you but this time I can't. I think Kanter already has helped the Jazz. Coming off the bench last year I believed he helped them. Was he a superstar "no", but he did the things that Corbin asked him to do. Do I expect more from him this year "yes", but I'm not going to worried about it until he gets into camp and has a full training camp to start to learn the big man game. After the season started last year I bet the Jazz were able to "truly" practice not more than 10 times.

I'm wagering this year that he averages .4 points and rebounds for every minute played. Any takers?? If he played 25 minutes a game he would get us a double double. If he only played 20 minutes he would give us 8 points and rebounds. Those are good bench numbers.

With kind regards,

The Dog
2012 Keeper Champ
2012 A league Champ
2012 B league Champ

That's Cool Dog everyone has their own opinion's about things for sure, I think he is not showing mush growth as a player from the end of last season not saying he is a bust. From what I have seen in this summer league from him it is not looking like he is ready for big minutes this coming season I hope I am wrong I am pulling for the Kid.

From what I remember Fess was getting the same kind of stats as Kanter is getting in summer league play, I would like to see more from Kanter than this because I think he is a better player at this stage of his game. He still has time to turn things around and I think he can but again I would like to see a little more progress that what I have seen so far.

3 Championship's in the fantasy league's last year pretty impressive Dog's the Man, nice
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 12:49 pm

dongibby wrote:
Jazz Dog wrote:

With kind regards,

The Dog
2012 Keeper Champ
2012 A league Champ
2012 B league Champ

That's Cool Dog everyone has their own opinion's about things for sure, I think he is not showing mush growth as a player from the end of last season not saying he is a bust. From what I have seen in this summer league from him it is not looking like he is ready for big minutes this coming season I hope I am wrong I am pulling for the Kid.

From what I remember Fess was getting the same kind of stats as Kanter is getting in summer league play, I would like to see more from Kanter than this because I think he is a better player at this stage of his game. He still has time to turn things around and I think he can but again I would like to see a little more progress that what I have seen so far.

3 Championship's in the fantasy league's last year pretty impressive Dog's the Man, nice

Kanter is gonna be fine! He is going to develop much slower than Favors just based on the fact that he doesn't have the raw natural talent that Favors has. He also hasn't played enough ball to have developed a great deal. Everyone knew Kanter was gonna be a project when he was drafted. I think he is gonna be a very good player. He will develop more this season and I feel by next year he will be a VERY good player and perfect complement to DF. IMHO
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:39 pm

As it always is with a #3 overall pick, I think the debate is largely about perception and expectations more than anything.

Here's a quick comparison the per minute stats for the rookie season of three PF/C drafted recently in the top 5 who were drafted under the age of 20. See if you can guess who they are...

Per 36 Minutes...

Player #1
17.8 pts, 43% fg, 69% ft, 10.9 reb, 1.1 blk, 4.2 to, 14.6 PER

Player #2
12.5 pts, 52% fg, 60% ft, 9.7 reb, 1.6 blk, 1.8 to, 13.9 PER

Player #3
12.5 pts, 50% fg, 67% ft, 11.5 reb, .9 blk, 2.2 to, 14.5 PER

I'll give you a hint, two of them made HUGE jumps in performance in their second seasons and are now playing for the USA select team.

Looks like Kanter had another decent outing today. I didn't see the game, but the box score said he had 15/8/1 on 47% fg in just a shade under 23 minutes. Wierdest part of all that was that 7 of his 8 rebounds were offensive....given his shooting %, I'm guessing he did a little Dennis Rodman style stat padding in this one.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:30 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Looks like Kanter had another decent outing today. I didn't see the game, but the box score said he had 15/8/1 on 47% fg in just a shade under 23 minutes. Wierdest part of all that was that 7 of his 8 rebounds were offensive....given his shooting %, I'm guessing he did a little Dennis Rodman style stat padding in this one.

That sounds pretty good. Did he look like he was in OK shape? I was concerned when I heard the report that he gained twenty pounds. I have never understood how guys can be paid millions of dollars to both play basketball and be in tip top shape and not keep in tip top shape. Burks displayed the attitude that I want to see during the offseason, especially from a young guy needing to prove he belongs in the league. Burks made two trips to P3 in Santa Barbara and allegedly showed back up in killer condition wanting to fight for a starter position. On another note, I doubt either of our legends, Karl and John, ever went more than couple of days without hard workouts over their entire careers. Greg Ostertag? Well, not so much.

Edit: I also remember Tinsley chiding him last season for letting older Centers beat him back down to the other end of the floor.

Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Crunchtime1 wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

That sounds pretty good. Did he look like he was in OK shape? I was concerned when I heard the report that he gained twenty pounds. I have never understood how guys can be paid millions of dollars to both play basketball and be in tip top shape and not keep in tip top shape. Burks displayed the attitude that I want to see during the offseason, especially from a young guy needing to prove he belongs in the league. Burks made two trips to P3 in Santa Barbara and allegedly showed back up in killer condition wanting to fight for a starter position. On another note, I doubt either of our legends, Karl and John, ever went more than couple of days without hard workouts over their entire careers. Greg Ostertag? Well, not so much.

Edit: I also remember Tinsley chiding him last season for letting older Centers beat him back down to the other end of the floor.

Kanter put on weight, but it didn't look like fat. Looks really solid to me.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Look how big Gordo is looking.   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:49 pm

14th roster spot - Page 2 17782210
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Romoholic wrote:

I saw that yesterday. I think it looks like he is getting fat/flabby. Of course it could just be the angle.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 4:01 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
Romoholic wrote:

I saw that yesterday. I think it looks like he is getting fat/flabby. Of course it could just be the angle.

I don't know. His arms and calves look pretty muscular to me.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm glad he has beefed up a little. I'm glad to see/hear that some (most?) of the jazz players have worked hard over the summer..
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Romoholic wrote:

where is Favors at?
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Favors is in the back row, 2nd from the right. Behind MJ wannabe .... right?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 5:47 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

Think so.

Hayward is looking large, he definitely aint no 210 like they have him on the official roster, looks more like 230.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 6:00 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

Yeah Favors is sporting a new moustache
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Think so.

Hayward is looking large, he definitely aint no 210 like they have him on the official roster, looks more like 230.

Just hope he doesn't lose speed, agility, hops with that added weight. Looks like he's moving into the SF role with the added bulk. Marvin off the bench and Burks as SG?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Martell Webster an option? He has talent, but has gone downhill, but still has time to grow. Not saying go crazy over him, but i wouldnt mind giving him a chance.

im totally fine with the bench as constructed, just looking to finish it off.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Well lets see what we have...

PG: Williams/Tinsley/Watson
SG: Burks/Murphy
SF: Hayward/Williams/Carroll
PF: Millsap/Favors/Evans
C: Jefferson/Kanter

hmmm....I'm really liking that squad. I'm thinking maybe they just keep a young guy that they can send to the D-League unless a couple guys get hurt.

BTW, has anybody heard how Watson is doing? His surgery was just for a torn meniscus, but that can be the kind of injury that doesn't ever heal right, and I haven't heard anything about him since he had surgery.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 9:23 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

hmmm....I'm really liking that squad. I'm thinking maybe they just keep a young guy that they can send to the D-League unless a couple guys get hurt.

BTW, has anybody heard how Watson is doing? His surgery was just for a torn meniscus, but that can be the kind of injury that doesn't ever heal right, and I haven't heard anything about him since he had surgery.

Have not heard anything about Watson.

Also David Loche wrote that this team should only see a 1-2 game better record than last season. Seems kinda pessimistic to me. I don't think he is taking into account the leadership of Mo and the young guys progressing from last year.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Crunchtime1 wrote:

Well Kanter was the only one that reported he gained 20lbs, thats where it came from, when he said he ate Turkish food. Coaches said he looked great, more muscle, and he also spent the same days that Burks did at P3.
Kanter looked good, in shape and strong. Dont worry about the UnderKanter, he's going to be good. He's still that same guy with the phenomenal body fat % too.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 10:41 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I like that squad ALOT. And my boy Gordo looks thick man, thats straight muscle he added. Impressive; hope he can use it well, and didn't get too big----the pipes are screaming!

Still like Burks as our Microwave off the bench immediately attacking and scoring. 6th man and MIP of the year. As long as GH isn't too big, him at the 2 and Marv at the 3. Paul and Burks off the bench to attack. Mmmmmmm, tastes good.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 am

Romoholic wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Have not heard anything about Watson.

Also David Loche wrote that this team should only see a 1-2 game better record than last season. Seems kinda pessimistic to me. I don't think he is taking into account the leadership of Mo and the young guys progressing from last year.

My analysis has them 3-5 games better than last year, with no progression/regression from anybody.

The thing I'm actually most concerned about is Mo's health, he's probably the most injury prone player on the team, and the guy we can least afford to lose.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I like that squad ALOT. And my boy Gordo looks thick man, thats straight muscle he added. Impressive; hope he can use it well, and didn't get too big----the pipes are screaming!

Still like Burks as our Microwave off the bench immediately attacking and scoring. 6th man and MIP of the year. As long as GH isn't too big, him at the 2 and Marv at the 3. Paul and Burks off the bench to attack. Mmmmmmm, tastes good.

Love the Vinnie "microwave" johnson shoutout, but lets not get carried away, yet.
Back to top Go down
ptaz66
6th man

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 6:25 pm

therawns wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Love the Vinnie "microwave" johnson shoutout, but lets not get carried away, yet.

Given Mo's injury potential, along with the fact Watson's recovering from an injury which can have lasting affects, I think keeping Ahearn as the 14th player may be prudent.

His nickname in college, as reported by the Summer League Commentators, was "Auto", because he shot over 90% from the Free Throw Line in college and hit 100+ straight in the D-league. Having someone like this to bring in late in games, when teams are fouling to extend the game, could easily add a couple of wins a year. He shoots the three reasonably well and could also be used as a two guard if one of them were to get hurt. Nothing flashy about the guy, but could be a solid, somewhat versatialle 14th role-player.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 8:08 pm

therawns wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

I agree with you.....but just barely. It might actually be time to start getting carried away. Burks showed a taste last year, but I think with the rest of the summer and a full training camp he and Favors both are going off this year.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
therawns wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

I agree with you.....but just barely. It might actually be time to start getting carried away. Burks showed a taste last year, but I think with the rest of the summer and a full training camp he and Favors both are going off this year.

Gosh, if he does go off...

Debate all we want to about this. Hayward Williams or Burks come off the bench, along with Millsap or Favors. Does anybody have a 1-2 punch off the bench that could be as good as this? I would say Philly did with williams and young, but williams is gone. Harden/Collison? Collison is not great, but Harden is the best 6th man, and collison is descent so you can put them. Collison is great defensively, and probably leads the league in charges taken in limited minutes.

If Burks really does start to break out, the Jazz have seven players that could probably start for at least 10 teams, if not half.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

14th roster spot
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next