Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  14th roster spot - Page 4 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

14th roster spot

Go down 
+12
Richardale
Jazz Dog
outerspacefan
Crunchtime1
dongibby
The Voice of Reason
zero24gravity
Leoverine
Mutangclan
Romoholic
TheMagnus
therawns
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

14th roster spot - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 10:11 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Machado said he’s in discussion with several other NBA teams and it’s possible he never makes it to the Rockets training camp. The Rockets purged most of their roster after last season and lost unrestricted free agent Goran Dragic to Phoenix and traded Kyle Lowry to Toronto, making the team especially thin at point guard. Based on his senior season at Iona, when he led the nation in assists, Machado is confident in his ability to run a team. Machado also agreed with a reporter who suggested he probably had a better college career than Lin, who played at Harvard. New York Daily News

I'd really like to see Utah bring him in. I think he's going to be at a minimum, a sturdy smart PG, and maybe good enough to lead a team. Not to mention Either Earl or Tinsley are completely expendable; I like them both separately for what they bring, but one can go. And even if not, with our versatility already, and Raja still here, I'd like to bring Machado on in his spot. A fourth PG that can start the learning curve. Definitely worth a shot, and he could be good.

I agree that the Jazz needs to find a young up and coming PG to groom for the future but the good thing is they have plenty of time before they have to do it with Mo and Randy on the team, if they go out and get Machado I would be OK with that but knowing the Jazz that more than likely is not going to happen I think they are going to go with what they have got now. I think John Stockton's kid that plays for Gonzaga will becoming out in next years draft and I really like the way he play's and would like to see the Jazz pick him up, he could be the kind of PG the Jazz is looking for with the kind of things he can do on the court.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Hah, I really like SLCdunk.com:

Yahoo! Sports Marc J. Spears reports: Free Agent Josh Howard courted by five teams. The Jazz are one of them.Barf.

http://www.slcdunk.com/
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

Yahoo! Sports Marc J. Spears reports: Free Agent Josh Howard courted by five teams. The Jazz are one of them.Barf.

One word ...... why?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 7:41 am

zero24gravity wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

One word ...... why?

Because the Jazz have a nostalgia for "loyalty" and guts, no matter how silly. I can absolutely see zero reasons to sign another 3 given the staffing with GH, Marv and DC. Only thing I can imagine is the Jazz see GH starting at the 2 so in that case an insurance 3 is plausible. But, yech.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 8:17 am

MTJazz wrote:

Because the Jazz have a nostalgia for "loyalty" and guts, no matter how silly. I can absolutely see zero reasons to sign another 3 given the staffing with GH, Marv and DC. Only thing I can imagine is the Jazz see GH starting at the 2 so in that case an insurance 3 is plausible. But, yech.

I'm sure it's just one of those things where KOC says "well, we'll always look to improve our team". And from that, Josh Howards agent says "oh yea, Utah is VEeEeeery interesting in bringing Josh back."
Josh, CJ, and Raja all have an equal chance of putting on a Jazz jersey this year......and it's right at roughly 0.00000%
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 pm

I just don't see the Jazz wanting to add another SF type player with them having as many as they already have on the roster unless there is a trade in the works that would be the only reason I would see for them looking to add a guy like Josh Howard. If they was going to add anything else to the team I think it would be along the lines of another big in case of injure with only 4 true bigs on the roster if one of them goes down that would make them pretty short if they get anyone in foul trouble in a game.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 4:16 pm

I've seen some highlights for Machado that were pretty amazing. You know how most highlight clips are...selective plays under the right circumstances, wild shots that go in 10% of the time on the one time it goes in, undefended dunks, etc., etc.

But he made some plays that were amazing whether the shot went in or not. Amazing to even think totry some of the passes he came up with. What's more, he wouldn't have thought to attempt some of those ridiculous plays unless he had terrific confidence in his ability to make those passes. And that isn't a fluke, that's real, and not just highlight real.

Now, there have been some PGs with ridiculous ball-handling and passing skills who were such poor defenders and shooters that they couldn't make it in the NBA (DiGregorio comes to mind...), but is Machado really that bad a shooter? That bad an athlete?

Thing is, the Jazz aren't the only team thinking he's "worth a look" and if there's something there, we won't be the first team to offer him a contract.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

Who's his agent?? See, that's how all this crap gets put out there...some agents are better-connected with press guys than others and they get their client's name put out there in ways that serve their best interests. Look at the way Vecsey and Steven A Smith shill for that one super-agency, and Vecsey used to be in David Falk's pocket. (conversely, nobody likes Fegan, so his guys don't get any special treatment.)

So Mutang is absolutely spot on about some agent taking one of O'Connor's stock content-free statements and giving it to some shill/whore in the media ("insider" Marc Spears, come on down!) to spin into something potentially beneficial. "NBA GMs riot to be first to bid on [my client's name here]!!" Then some clueless GM (NOT KO'C) starts to wonder if maybe he'd better check it out if other guys are interested and he calls somebody about the player and that somebody gets asked by Spears a week later about "the buzz" surrounding Player X. And Spears dutifully (and honestly) reports that interest.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:23 pm

The Jazz have to quit stock piling players, go for quality not quantity. There are only 240 minutes to throw around.
I'll bet that during the pre camp there will be somebody out of the blue that everybody likes like Matthews or Demare Carroll and they won't realistically have room for everybody. Howard? seriously?
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 7:13 pm

dongibby wrote:
It is too bad that Andray Blatche is such a headcase the Kid is a very good player that could really be a nice addition to a team like the Jazz if he had his head in the right place, you would think the Kid would learn from being kicked to the curb for acting up like he was doing last season or one would hope that he would learn from it. If the Jazz could talk to him and get him to agree to change the way he thinks and act's and could sign him on the cheap I would not mind seeing them take a chance on the Kid but that is a very big IF, the Kid has a lot to offer a team if he could get his head in the right place being 6'11 he can play PF/C at a high level if he could accept coming off of the bench for a team. There will be a team that is willing to take the Kid on sooner or later this season it is just a matter of time before it happens I just think it might be worth the risk for the Jazz if they could get him to agree to him making a change in his life and the direction he is going in his basketball career. I know that some of you would not be willing to take this kind of chance on the Kid but sometimes you have to take a chance on something in life to get to a better place and this could be the time for the Jazz to take a chance on a young Kid like him if they are ever going to take one. If they could get him cheap enough to where if they had to cut him lose it would not cost them much he might be worth taking a chance on IMO anyway.

I read this in the rumors in the hoops hype sports talk forum (Jared Zwerling: Andray Blatche, who got amnestied and will still make $$ from Washington, could be more open to the veteran's minimum. Twitter) If the Jazz could sign this guy for the Vets minimum it could turn out to be a very good move for them, the Jazz just might be the team to help this kid get his head on straight and if they can get him on the cheap they would not be out much and could trade him is things don't go the direction they are wanting. I think it is worth a shot for a guy with the kind of basketball skills he has and being 6'11 those guys don't grow on trees.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Machado said he’s in discussion with several other NBA teams and it’s possible he never makes it to the Rockets training camp. The Rockets purged most of their roster after last season and lost unrestricted free agent Goran Dragic to Phoenix and traded Kyle Lowry to Toronto, making the team especially thin at point guard. Based on his senior season at Iona, when he led the nation in assists, Machado is confident in his ability to run a team. Machado also agreed with a reporter who suggested he probably had a better college career than Lin, who played at Harvard. New York Daily News

I'd really like to see Utah bring him in. I think he's going to be at a minimum, a sturdy smart PG, and maybe good enough to lead a team. Not to mention Either Earl or Tinsley are completely expendable; I like them both separately for what they bring, but one can go. And even if not, with our versatility already, and Raja still here, I'd like to bring Machado on in his spot. A fourth PG that can start the learning curve. Definitely worth a shot, and he could be good.

I like the thoughts of Burks and Randy F being off our bench for the one two guards going into next year. Something tells me these two could be very key for the jazz making a run for a top seed in next year playoffs. They could play off the others skills in a plus plus and will be a win win for both.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 am

dongibby wrote:
dongibby wrote:
It is too bad that Andray Blatche is such a headcase the Kid is a very good player that could really be a nice addition to a team like the Jazz if he had his head in the right place, you would think the Kid would learn from being kicked to the curb for acting up like he was doing last season or one would hope that he would learn from it. If the Jazz could talk to him and get him to agree to change the way he thinks and act's and could sign him on the cheap I would not mind seeing them take a chance on the Kid but that is a very big IF, the Kid has a lot to offer a team if he could get his head in the right place being 6'11 he can play PF/C at a high level if he could accept coming off of the bench for a team. There will be a team that is willing to take the Kid on sooner or later this season it is just a matter of time before it happens I just think it might be worth the risk for the Jazz if they could get him to agree to him making a change in his life and the direction he is going in his basketball career. I know that some of you would not be willing to take this kind of chance on the Kid but sometimes you have to take a chance on something in life to get to a better place and this could be the time for the Jazz to take a chance on a young Kid like him if they are ever going to take one. If they could get him cheap enough to where if they had to cut him lose it would not cost them much he might be worth taking a chance on IMO anyway.

I read this in the rumors in the hoops hype sports talk forum (Jared Zwerling: Andray Blatche, who got amnestied and will still make $$ from Washington, could be more open to the veteran's minimum. Twitter) If the Jazz could sign this guy for the Vets minimum it could turn out to be a very good move for them, the Jazz just might be the team to help this kid get his head on straight and if they can get him on the cheap they would not be out much and could trade him is things don't go the direction they are wanting. I think it is worth a shot for a guy with the kind of basketball skills he has and being 6'11 those guys don't grow on trees.

I read that he will likely end up on the Heat. There's a shocker.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

zero24gravity wrote:
dongibby wrote:
dongibby wrote:

Ya the Heat or the Spurs are what I have read are looking at signing him, on the right team and with the right people he could turn things around and be a big time player.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 11:10 am

dongibby wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
dongibby wrote:
dongibby wrote:

Ya the Heat or the Spurs are what I have read are looking at signing him, on the right team and with the right people he could turn things around and be a big time player.

Blatche is still on the market and is taking the steps he needs to so he can turn his basketball career around by going to John Lucas to help guide him going forward he is looking like he is willing to do whatever it takes to turn things around and I think he will. I still think the Jazz could be the right place for him to get things turned around and headed in the right direction and they could get him at a very good salary something around the Vet minimum but they had better get it done soon because I don't see him lasting too much longer on the free agent market someone is going to pick him up he just has way too much talent for NBA teams over look him too much longer.

He is open to about anything right now even playing in the D-League so if he could find a NBA team that wants him coming off of the bench would be fine with him, I think him and the Jazz could be good for each other when it is all said and done.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 11:43 am

dongibby wrote:

He is open to about anything right now even playing in the D-League so if he could find a NBA team that wants him coming off of the bench would be fine with him, I think him and the Jazz could be good for each other when it is all said and done.

You want him taking minutes from Kanter?
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
dongibby wrote:

You want him taking minutes from Kanter?

I am not so sure that Kanter is ready to help the Jazz this coming season, the kid has a ways to go before he is ready looking at what he did in the summer league games and with the Jazz only having 4 real big's on the roster I think they need 1 more in case of injure. Now if that guy turn's out to be a pretty good player then that is only going to be good for the Jazz in the long run.

Also there has been talk about the Jazz not being able to keep both Jefferson and Milsap beyond next season now if the Jazz could find a guy like Blatche and he can truly turn things around to become the kind of player he has been in the past then losing one of them won't be as hard on the Jazz if they did not already have someone like this on the roster.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 12:04 pm

dongibby wrote:

I am not so sure that Kanter is ready to help the Jazz this coming season, the kid has a ways to go before he is ready looking at what he did in the summer league games and with the Jazz only having 4 real big's on the roster I think they need 1 more in case of injure. Now if that guy turn's out to be a pretty good player then that is only going to be good for the Jazz in the long run.

Also there has been talk about the Jazz not being able to keep both Jefferson and Milsap beyond next season now if the Jazz could find a guy like Blatche and he can truly turn things around to become the kind of player he has been in the past then losing one of them won't be as hard on the Jazz if they did not already have someone like this on the roster.

Kanter helped the team last year. He didn't turn the ball over, played good position defense and per 36m rebounded with the best in the league. And that was last year as a bald lil baby eagle. Now he's had training, coaching, workouts, tutorials......he's going to help this team every time he steps on the floor.
No thanks to head-case lazy Blatche. Someone else can have him, give all those minutes to Kanter to help him keep improving.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Kanter helped the team last year. He didn't turn the ball over, played good position defense and per 36m rebounded with the best in the league. And that was last year as a bald lil baby eagle. Now he's had training, coaching, workouts, tutorials......he's going to help this team every time he steps on the floor. No thanks to head-case lazy Blatche. Someone else can have him, give all those minutes to Kanter to help him keep improving.

Kanter did at time help the Jazz last season in limited minutes no doubt about it and I hope you are right about him getting better because he has had training, coaching, workouts and tutorials over the summer but from what I seen in summer league play he did not show much improvement from the end of last season. I still think the Kid has potential to become a pretty good player in the NBA it is going to take a little time before he gets there, IMO he still has a lot to learn. Like I said I hope the Kid can pull it all together and step it up and be a better player for the Jazz this season but that remains to be seen.

I understand why some people would not want Blatche I really do but guys that stand 6'11 with the kind of basketball skills that he has just don't grow on trees and I think he is taking all of the steps that he needs to so he can turn things around and become a better person in witch will help make him be a better basketball player. I really think that he has been humbled by the things that have happened to him over the last season and think he really wants to change and with him being willing to do whatever it takes to get his career back on track the Jazz could get him at a very reasonable price so if things just did not work out they would not be out very much but if they do then they pick up a very good Young player.

Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 12:37 pm

dongibby wrote:

I understand why some people would not want Blatche I really do but guys that stand 6'11 with the kind of basketball skills that he has just don't grow on trees and I think he is taking all of the steps that he needs to so he can turn things around and become a better person in witch will help make him be a better basketball player. I really think that he has been humbled by the things that have happened to him over the last season and think he really wants to change and with him being willing to do whatever it takes to get his career back on track the Jazz could get him at a very reasonable price so if things just did not work out they would not be out very much but if they do then they pick up a very good Young player.

Just saw this Don on Hoopsworld.com, a chat with Coach Macri:

Anthony Macri
I can promise you one thing, DMoney: I will never, ever, no matter what the circumstances, EVER, claim that bringing in Andray Blatche is a good move. Ever.

I'm definitely of the same opinion, especially because we have such a young team.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
dongibby wrote:

Just saw this Don on Hoopsworld.com, a chat with Coach Macri:

Anthony Macri
I can promise you one thing, DMoney: I will never, ever, no matter what the circumstances, EVER, claim that bringing in Andray Blatche is a good move. Ever.

I'm definitely of the same opinion, especially because we have such a young team.

That's fine you are entitle to your opinion just as I am but I think the Jazz could be a team that could help Blatche just like Mr. Macri thinks' the Spurs could.

quote=" Jon
Spurs question: What is the realistic upside of Kahwi Leornard? (an approximate equivalent player or hybrid would be great). Is blatche worth giving a shot?

Anthony Macri
Let me get the second part of your question out of the way: if any club can “save” him, it is San Antonio. That said, I wouldn’t be looking to add Andray Blatche to my team anytime soon. [/quote]

Like I said I can understand that thinking because of the things he has done in the past but the truth to the matter there will be a team in the NBA that will be willing to give him a second chance the Spurs could be one of them and on the right team with the right mindset he could become a whole different player. I really think the Jazz could be one of those team who could help him turn things around they are one of the most stable teams in the NBA right along side of the Spurs.

Look at what team this guy played for Washington with a whole group of Knuckleheads that goes back years put the Kid in a good situation with structure and who know's what kind of player he could become and I really think the Jazz could give him that structure he is in need of to become a better person and a better player. If he is truly humbled like he says he is he could very well turn things around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14th roster spot   14th roster spot - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

14th roster spot
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4