Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Foye a starter? - Page 2 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Foye a starter?

Go down 
+5
outerspacefan
dongibby
Mutangclan
MTJazz
therawns
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

Foye a starter? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 10:45 am

[quote="MTJazz"]Not saying you didn't hear that but its pretty darn unusual for KOC to say such things especially in an off season before the next season roster is finalized. Especially in the case of Burks who didn't earn a starting role last season. Geez, make the kid work for il[quote]

I think it was said after summer league play where Burks really stepped up his game and shown that he has worked for it and I think deserves it with the way he played. Things could change but like I say they will have to win the job from him to get it and if that happens I will be OK with it but that will not be an easy task at all.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 pm

[quote="dongibby"][quote="MTJazz"]Not saying you didn't hear that but its pretty darn unusual for KOC to say such things especially in an off season before the next season roster is finalized. Especially in the case of Burks who didn't earn a starting role last season. Geez, make the kid work for il
Quote :

I think it was said after summer league play where Burks really stepped up his game and shown that he has worked for it and I think deserves it with the way he played. Things could change but like I say they will have to win the job from him to get it and if that happens I will be OK with it but that will not be an easy task at all.

Yea surprised KOC would make such a bold statement, he never says anything even remotely close to that. Wouldn't make sense. Either way, doesn't make sense before finalizing the roster and going through training camp. Then those decisions are made. I'd bet it all that Burks is the 6th man this year.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:44 pm

[quote="Mutangclan"][quote="dongibby"]
MTJazz wrote:
Not saying you didn't hear that but its pretty darn unusual for KOC to say such things especially in an off season before the next season roster is finalized. Especially in the case of Burks who didn't earn a starting role last season. Geez, make the kid work for il
Quote :

Yea surprised KOC would make such a bold statement, he never says anything even remotely close to that. Wouldn't make sense. Either way, doesn't make sense before finalizing the roster and going through training camp. Then those decisions are made. I'd bet it all that Burks is the 6th man this year.

It might not make sense but none the less he said it, why would I lie about hearing him say this it don't do anything for me besides I am not the only one to hear him say this zero says he also hear the same interview. I think with KOC coming out and saying that Burks is the starting SG that pretty mush locks it in and that's the way it will be once the season starts, with him saying this the Jazz must be pretty high on Burks and think he is going to be a very good player for them.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 7:07 pm

dongibby wrote:

It might not make sense but none the less he said it, why would I lie about hearing him say this it don't do anything for me besides I am not the only one to hear him say this zero says he also hear the same interview. I think with KOC coming out and saying that Burks is the starting SG that pretty mush locks it in and that's the way it will be once the season starts, with him saying this the Jazz must be pretty high on Burks and think he is going to be a very good player for them.

Sorry Don, not the case. KOC doesn't lock anything in other than the roster. The coach of the team, Ty and his staff will make those decisions after training camp. Which is why you or someone else should find that transcript of that radio interview; maybe I'll look.
KOC wouldn't have said "Hayward and Burks are starting for us." I know he didn't say that too, because GM's dont make those decisions; but also because Ty just said that every starting position is up for grabs.

Do I hear another friendly bet coming? Burks is going to be the 6th man.....bet you.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 8:16 pm

dongibby wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
I have hopes for Randy to be strong contributer, but if Foye is the teams best SG & "earns" the starting spot, then the team is weak at that spot & hasn't got any better. For the team to move forward, Burks need to be the best pure SG on the team IMO.

Well, I gotta ask then, what makes you think Burks deserves a starting spot and who says Foye isn't an upgrade over last year's situation if he was a starter? The way I look at it the 2 spot improved significantly with Foye's add to the team, more options and talent. As for Burks, I say, "Go get it young man!", but the team hasn't gotten better if its handed to him based on "potential" versus performance. He hasn't proved he can hit an outside shot with any regularity yet, (much less play point like Foye), so in my mind he is only a small step ahead of Ronnie Brewer - gets to the basket well, can play some D and hustles but unless you can hit that jump shot guys will sag off into the paint to the detriment of the paint scoring options. I sincerely hope he comes back this season with a potent jumper, but until proven otherwise, ( and I hope he proves otherwise), he is so far a very nice work in progress. No onne here thought the Jazz had suddenly 'solved' the 2 spot starter situation with the Foye pickup but we were all generally psyched about Foye's price tag to talent ratio compared to the previous incarnation options we had in the back court. I think with the double punch of Foye/Burks at the 2 Gordo can make a very nice home at the 3 with Marvin. That's the picture I like!

One big reason that makes me think that Burks will get the start over the others is O'Conner has came out and said that Burks and Hayward will be the starters at the SG and SF this coming season, if that is going to change then the others are going to have to work harder than Burks to get it and I just don't see that happening.

KOC said this? I would be shocked if he did. He is so mum about everything. And one thing he says on a consistent basis is "coaches coach and managers manage".
I'm not saying he DIDN'T say it...but I wold be surprised...unless he was quoting Ty.
Besides..I think it is foolish and presumptuous to name the starters of this team right now before training camp, etc
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 8:23 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
dongibby wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
I have hopes for Randy to be strong contributer, but if Foye is the teams best SG & "earns" the starting spot, then the team is weak at that spot & hasn't got any better. For the team to move forward, Burks need to be the best pure SG on the team IMO.

Well, I gotta ask then, what makes you think Burks deserves a starting spot and who says Foye isn't an upgrade over last year's situation if he was a starter? The way I look at it the 2 spot improved significantly with Foye's add to the team, more options and talent. As for Burks, I say, "Go get it young man!", but the team hasn't gotten better if its handed to him based on "potential" versus performance. He hasn't proved he can hit an outside shot with any regularity yet, (much less play point like Foye), so in my mind he is only a small step ahead of Ronnie Brewer - gets to the basket well, can play some D and hustles but unless you can hit that jump shot guys will sag off into the paint to the detriment of the paint scoring options. I sincerely hope he comes back this season with a potent jumper, but until proven otherwise, ( and I hope he proves otherwise), he is so far a very nice work in progress. No onne here thought the Jazz had suddenly 'solved' the 2 spot starter situation with the Foye pickup but we were all generally psyched about Foye's price tag to talent ratio compared to the previous incarnation options we had in the back court. I think with the double punch of Foye/Burks at the 2 Gordo can make a very nice home at the 3 with Marvin. That's the picture I like!

One big reason that makes me think that Burks will get the start over the others is O'Conner has came out and said that Burks and Hayward will be the starters at the SG and SF this coming season, if that is going to change then the others are going to have to work harder than Burks to get it and I just don't see that happening.

KOC said this? I would be shocked if he did. He is so mum about everything. And one thing he says on a consistent basis is "coaches coach and managers manage".
I'm not saying he DIDN'T say it...but I wold be surprised...unless he was quoting Ty.
Besides..I think it is foolish and presumptuous to name the starters of this team right now before training camp, etc

Guys why would I lie?????? I have nothing to gain at all by doing so, he did in fact say these things Zero also heard this interview. I know that O'Conner don't say these kind of thing's but sense he has then one would have to believe he means what he says when saying who is going to be starters don't Ya think. Believe what you want to I am just stating what I heard the guy say in a interview on the sports talk on the radio.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Zero???? Anything here?

It just doesn't make any sense for a guy who doesn't even make the substitutions in a game, is going to decide who will start. Complete nonsense.

Don I'm not saying you're lying. I think maybe there was some version of Burks and Hayward and starting spots that you heard. Maybe that they'll compete for the spots or something. But I dont believe that KOC said "Alec Burks and Gordon Hayward will be in the starting 5 this year". Thats just not his job. Mark Cuban is always involved in the Mavs, and he doesn't even say who should start.

It simply doesn't make any sense at all.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Zero???? Anything here?

It just doesn't make any sense for a guy who doesn't even make the substitutions in a game, is going to decide who will start. Complete nonsense.

Don I'm not saying you're lying. I think maybe there was some version of Burks and Hayward and starting spots that you heard. Maybe that they'll compete for the spots or something. But I dont believe that KOC said "Alec Burks and Gordon Hayward will be in the starting 5 this year". Thats just not his job. Mark Cuban is always involved in the Mavs, and he doesn't even say who should start.

I definitely remember hearing something like this as well. But as I said before, KOC isn't the guy who makes those decisions. It's also possible the question was posed to him in some other mannor than simply,"who will start?" I just know I have some recolection of hearing it.

When looking for quotes from KOC about this, all I could find is...

7/28 - When asked whether or not shooting guard Randy Foye would be in the opening rotation, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor avoided answering directly.

"Coach Corbin's question," he said.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Don, I'm not calling you a liar. I'm really not. I just have a very hard time believing that he would say something like this when he (KOC):

1) does not make the decisions regarding playing time
2) Does not know who will impress and "earn" the spot in training camp.
3) does not comment about ANYTHING.

It just seems so out of place that he would commit difinitively about this.
He also said in a recent interview something along the lines of being disappointed in Alec a little in summer league (anyone else hear this?) it was more about Kanter, but threw Alec's name in there too. He followed it up by saying that the coaches corrected him and said they were both doing extremely well and that he just isn't being patient enough with them....to which he followed up with his patented "that's why coaches coach and managers manage" line.

But....not calling you a liar, Don. I like your posts a lot. Just voicing my opinion here.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Zero???? Anything here?

Tang I know what I heard and it was that Hayward and Burks was going to be the starting SF and SG this coming season if you want to believe it or not that's what he said, if you look back a few post you will see where Zero said he heard the same thing in that interview. As far as it being Complete Nonsense you don't know everything that happens or everything that O'Conner has to say about things so until you can say you know for a fact what was said or not said hold off calling things like this complete nonsense until you can prove otherwise, give a guy a little credit for once would Ya until you can show diffrent.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 am

dongibby wrote:

Tang I know what I heard and it was that Hayward and Burks was going to be the starting SF and SG this coming season if you want to believe it or not that's what he said, if you look back a few post you will see where Zero said he heard the same thing in that interview. As far as it being Complete Nonsense you don't know everything that happens or everything that O'Conner has to say about things so until you can say you know for a fact what was said or not said hold off calling things like this complete nonsense until you can prove otherwise, give a guy a little credit for once would Ya until you can show diffrent.

7/28 - When asked whether or not shooting guard Randy Foye would be in the opening rotation, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor avoided answering directly.

Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:48 am

Mutangclan wrote:
dongibby wrote:

So what does this show? Nothing

zero24gravity

I definitely remember hearing something like this as well.

Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:17 am

I am going to say this about this tread and then I am going to let everyone think what they want to about what was or was not said by O'Conner on who was going to start at the SF and SG spots this coming season then I will leave it alone.

Maybe at the time before any of these move's where made O'Conner and the rest of the Jazz origination was thinking that with the group of players on the team at that time they was all in agreement that Burks and Hayward would be the starters at those two positions. Now that these other players have been brought on board maybe things do change but I think that Marv Williams just does not get the starting job handed to him he is going to have to earn it just like everyone else on this team. Looking at the way he has played the last few season he is far from being named the starting SF IMHO and has got a lot to prove before he get's it. I myself really like the way Foye has played the last few season but at the same time he is also going to have to earn the starting SG job and I think with the way Burks has came on in the summer league games that it is not going to be an easy thing to do but if this is how things turn out I am not going to be mad about it as long as all of them earn the job by showing the Jazz who deserves it the most in head to head play and may the best man win.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:24 pm

dongibby wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
dongibby wrote:

So what does this show? Nothing

zero24gravity

I definitely remember hearing something like this as well.

Hey, hey, hey. If I said it, then it HAS to be true. Razz

But really, I know I heard something from KOC about Burks being the starter. However, I can't remember how long ago and under what context. It may have been before Marv, Foye and Mo were around.

It does seem odd for him to say such a thing, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen .... just wish I could remember more specifics.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm

The more I read, and the more numbers and stats etc that are put it, it's showing that Foye is good defensively as a PG, and much better defensively at the 1 vs at the 2. Seems now that Earl or Tinsley just aren't needed. Maybe one of them gets packaged with Raja for some sort of asset.....

I think I may officially announce I was wrong and you right Rawns; I agree, I think Foye ends up playing alot of time at the backup point. He and Burks coming out and killing dudes. Thats exciting in itself.....
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
The more I read, and the more numbers and stats etc that are put it, it's showing that Foye is good defensively as a PG, and much better defensively at the 1 vs at the 2. Seems now that Earl or Tinsley just aren't needed. Maybe one of them gets packaged with Raja for some sort of asset.....

I think I may officially announce I was wrong and you right Rawns; I agree, I think Foye ends up playing alot of time at the backup point. He and Burks coming out and killing dudes. Thats exciting in itself.....

Been sayin' it for some time: time is right for Bell and Watson to part ways with the Jazz... and yes, Foye will play PG a bunch of time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foye a starter?   Foye a starter? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Foye a starter?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2