Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Off-season roster improvements

Go down 
+15
Saint Louis
MTJazz
The Voice of Reason
aliveandkickin
Crunchtime1
zero24gravity
dongibby
rorybreaker
outerspacefan
therawns
RookieJazz
Romoholic
Mutangclan
TheMagnus
i[m]M.V.P.
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 8:09 am

zero24gravity wrote:
I've been thinking that the Sixers have something in the works to bring in a big man. They amnestied Brand, and their only replacement so far is Kwame Brown <sad>. Lots of talk about Iggy being traded. I really like what I've seen from him so far on team USA.

I know this has already been discussed, but he loss of Brand and addition of Marvin to the Jazz, who can play PF, makes me think this is worth revisiting.

Philly seems to be going into a completley different direction. Giving up on L.Williams, dropping Brand, shopping Iggy, etc.

The Jazz currently have a nice, balanced roster. But the fact remains that Millsap, Jefferson AND Favors all deserve to be starters. Something still may going down. Even KOC has hinted as such.

Kind of agree and posted somewhere else. All you hear now is Philly has a glut of SF's who need minutes, and Utah supposedly has a glut of bigs that needs minutes. Both teams (especially Philly) arguably need a starting PF and a starting SF. Definitely a possibility.

Would be so crazy if Utah had Marv and Iggy on this team next year. What a difference.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:11 am

Mutangclan wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
I've been thinking that the Sixers have something in the works to bring in a big man. They amnestied Brand, and their only replacement so far is Kwame Brown <sad>. Lots of talk about Iggy being traded. I really like what I've seen from him so far on team USA.

I know this has already been discussed, but he loss of Brand and addition of Marvin to the Jazz, who can play PF, makes me think this is worth revisiting.

Philly seems to be going into a completley different direction. Giving up on L.Williams, dropping Brand, shopping Iggy, etc.

The Jazz currently have a nice, balanced roster. But the fact remains that Millsap, Jefferson AND Favors all deserve to be starters. Something still may going down. Even KOC has hinted as such.

Kind of agree and posted somewhere else. All you hear now is Philly has a glut of SF's who need minutes, and Utah supposedly has a glut of bigs that needs minutes. Both teams (especially Philly) arguably need a starting PF and a starting SF. Definitely a possibility.

Would be so crazy if Utah had Marv and Iggy on this team next year. What a difference.

The only guy with a contract that could make an iggy trade work at this point is Jefferson, and that would make this team look a lot like...well, last years sixers.

I'm not saying the Jazz shouldn't do it, that's the trade I've said made the most sense all along, but it does make us a smaller team.

But is getting smaller right now really a bad thing?

The two teams that you would HAVE to beat if you want a championship are OKC and Miami, and trading Jefferson for Iggy would give the Jazz perfect matchups for both of those teams, who's best units are small ball units.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 10:00 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

The only guy with a contract that could make an iggy trade work at this point is Jefferson, and that would make this team look a lot like...well, last years sixers.

I'm not saying the Jazz shouldn't do it, that's the trade I've said made the most sense all along, but it does make us a smaller team.

But is getting smaller right now really a bad thing?

The two teams that you would HAVE to beat if you want a championship are OKC and Miami, and trading Jefferson for Iggy would give the Jazz perfect matchups for both of those teams, who's best units are small ball units.

I think the want-to-be team now that Nash is on it will be a team fighting for the top spot in the West and they have 2 7 footers to deal with, I think the Jazz needs some size to deal with the big's in the West myself.
Back to top Go down
rorybreaker
6th man

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 12:07 pm

As much as I like Millsap it might be the right time to move him IF the Jazz can trade him to a bad team for an unprotected 1st round pick AND if they can pick up Scola with a reasonable contract.
PF/C- Favors, Scola, Big Al, Kanter plus Evans.
Thats a nasty line.
AND you get an early 1st round pick.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 pm

I like Kanter, do not get me wrong, however, im not sure if he is good enough yet to be the first big off the bench. You trade a big like jefferson for iggy (just because that has been brought up) and you are thin up front.

I agree with magnus that Miami, and OKC went small a ton, and it seems like the league is going that direction. However, neither one of them have a traditional back to the basket big. Bosh, is more of a high post/face up player. It is all about matchups.

The Jazz bigs are good enough to force the other teams hand. If the other team wants to go small, fine, the Jazz can pound it inside to whoever, and make them pay. Joel Anthony/Haslem or Perkins/Collison dont have the offensive games to do that. (Now, LeBron can negate this, by going to the 4, with bosh at the 5, no problem.) Hibbert is good enough to force the other teams hand, and that is why Joel Anthony played 29 minutes per game against the Pacers. Now, if they meet in the playoffs again, it would be interesting to see if they use Anthony in the same way.

Going back to the Iggy trade, I feel like you have the same logjam on the wings. Marvin can play the 4 which helps, but Hayward coming off the bench? Now, if Kanter, Millsap, or Jefferson get hurt, the Jazz would be in trouble. Getting Marvin Williams has cooled me on the Iggy front.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:05 pm

From other thread.....

My top priority at this juncture would be a PG.

Mo averages 16 missed games a season in his 9 years in the NBA. He's never missed more than 25, but he's only played more than 70 twice (80,81). PG is easily our weakest position anyways, If (when) Mo goes down we will have a serious problem.

Unless Burks and/or Hayward are ready to start at PG when Mo goes down, I hope the Jazz #1 priority is upgrading the backup PG spot.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Magnus had mentioned in a different thread that his biggest concern is the Jazz back-up PG.

I don't really feel it's a major issue, and even talked about it a bit a few weeks ago. I also don't think the Jazz think it's an issue, otherwise they wouldn't have resigned Tinsley. However, for the sake of conversation .......

There are only a few FA PG's that are available, and most aren't better than what the Jazz already have.

Aaron Brooks would be my #1 choice. Would be a great back up, and a very capable starter if Mo missed games. Nobody else is really worth worrying about IMO. All the decent PG's have already signed on the dotted line elsewhere.

The Jazz would also have to trade Watson in order to have the space to sign someone else.

Randy Foye?
Jonny Flynn?
Keyon Dooling?
Anthony Carter?
Baron Davis?
Earl Boykins?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:44 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Magnus had mentioned in a different thread that his biggest concern is the Jazz back-up PG.

I don't really feel it's a major issue, and even talked about it a bit a few weeks ago. I also don't think the Jazz think it's an issue, otherwise they wouldn't have resigned Tinsley. However, for the sake of conversation .......

There are only a few FA PG's that are available, and most aren't better than what the Jazz already have.

Aaron Brooks would be my #1 choice. Would be a great back up, and a very capable starter if Mo missed games. Nobody else is really worth worrying about IMO. All the decent PG's have already signed on the dotted line elsewhere.

The Jazz would also have to trade Watson in order to have the space to sign someone else.

Randy Foye?
Jonny Flynn?
Keyon Dooling?
Anthony Carter?
Baron Davis?
Earl Boykins?

I agree with Magnus, and that is the only hole i see in the depth chart. I thought Augustine was a good MLE candidate. Im not a fan of Brooks. I think the only one, that i have any interest in is flynn. These other ones, are not really upgrades. Flynn isnt either though, but hes young, and I still think his career can get resurrected.

If the Jazz go into training camp with 13 guys, the bell buyout makes little sense to me, unless they saved a ton of money. One trade that works with him as a salary filler is watson, and bell for udrih. You probably have to include a first round choice, but if this team is as good as we all say they are (and I mean right at 50 wins), im not losing sleep over losing a pick. I would have liked to hold onto bell, till training camp, if they like someone in camp, then buyout bell. I didnt like the timing of it i guess.

I thought Jarrett Jack was a good trade candidate. Steve Blake has not been the same since he went to LA, but you like him? I just dont see many good trade candidates at PG.

Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 pm

therawns wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Randy Foye?
Jonny Flynn?
Keyon Dooling?
Anthony Carter?
Baron Davis?
Earl Boykins?

I agree with Magnus, and that is the only hole i see in the depth chart. I thought Augustine was a good MLE candidate. Im not a fan of Brooks. I think the only one, that i have any interest in is flynn. These other ones, are not really upgrades. Flynn isnt either though, but hes young, and I still think his career can get resurrected.

If the Jazz go into training camp with 13 guys, the bell buyout makes little sense to me, unless they saved a ton of money. One trade that works with him as a salary filler is watson, and bell for udrih. You probably have to include a first round choice, but if this team is as good as we all say they are (and I mean right at 50 wins), im not losing sleep over losing a pick. I would have liked to hold onto bell, till training camp, if they like someone in camp, then buyout bell. I didnt like the timing of it i guess.

I thought Jarrett Jack was a good trade candidate. Steve Blake has not been the same since he went to LA, but you like him? I just dont see many good trade candidates at PG.

He is going to Turkey, but i liked Farmar. In all honesty, i dont think PG is as deep as most think.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 pm

C. J. Watson signed with the Nets for some coins...
I'm with Magnus about backup PG; Watson cannot run an NBA offense anymore. Kind of like his attitude but his PG skills are death.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am

outerspacefan wrote:
I'm with Magnus about backup PG; Watson cannot run an NBA offense anymore. Kind of like his attitude but his PG skills are death.

I disagree with this one O, I think one thing Watson can do is run and offense. His defense is still above average, and with Mo being more offensive minded, think that Earl is a great backup. And Tinsley is good.

I dont think I agree that PG depth is our issue, although I didn't realize Mo had missed so many games; what kind of injuries were they? I usually know these things.... We have two capable vets behind him though, and IMO two other guys in Gordo and Burks who both can play point and distribute. So with that, I'd rather see a big shot blocking fouling type, or a Jodie Meeks 3pt shooter type. I'm thinking Darko who can be had for peanuts now. Or even giving Fes another shot.
Definitely dont want any part of Rip Hamilton---Bulls needed his type of skills desperately and he still could only get through 28 games and is on the wrong side of mid 30's. Burks can take all those minutes.

Only option I think worth exploring (and not sure what'd cost) but Toronto is STILL looking for a worthwhile trade for Calderon. Having him on board as a back up would put us as pretty stacked at the big and small positions. Any scenarios where we trade Calderon? Maybe a S/T with CJ Miles? Raps wanted SF's, and just traded James Johnson.....
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

I disagree with this one O, I think one thing Watson can do is run and offense. His defense is still above average, and with Mo being more offensive minded, think that Earl is a great backup. And Tinsley is good.

I dont think I agree that PG depth is our issue, although I didn't realize Mo had missed so many games; what kind of injuries were they? I usually know these things.... We have two capable vets behind him though, and IMO two other guys in Gordo and Burks who both can play point and distribute. So with that, I'd rather see a big shot blocking fouling type, or a Jodie Meeks 3pt shooter type. I'm thinking Darko who can be had for peanuts now. Or even giving Fes another shot.
Definitely dont want any part of Rip Hamilton---Bulls needed his type of skills desperately and he still could only get through 28 games and is on the wrong side of mid 30's. Burks can take all those minutes.

Only option I think worth exploring (and not sure what'd cost) but Toronto is STILL looking for a worthwhile trade for Calderon. Having him on board as a back up would put us as pretty stacked at the big and small positions. Any scenarios where we trade Calderon? Maybe a S/T with CJ Miles? Raps wanted SF's, and just traded James Johnson.....

Calderon would be great, but he makes over $10 million this year. Only guys on the team that are in that ballpark are Paul, Al, Marvin & Mo. Watson, Raja & CJ (sign & trade) combined would be in the neighborhood, but I doubt the Raps would look at an offer like that.

I'm thinking the Jazz would go "big" if they add another vet. Darko & Robin Lopez fit the bill as guys with size who can come in & bang when needed, can play bigger minutes if necessary, but wouldn't demand a bunch of court time either. I suppose Fes could work as well, but I'm over him. He just hasn't made the improvements necessary for me to care. Great locker room quotes though!
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 3:32 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

Calderon would be great, but he makes over $10 million this year. Only guys on the team that are in that ballpark are Paul, Al, Marvin & Mo. Watson, Raja & CJ (sign & trade) combined would be in the neighborhood, but I doubt the Raps would look at an offer like that.

I'm thinking the Jazz would go "big" if they add another vet. Darko & Robin Lopez fit the bill as guys with size who can come in & bang when needed, can play bigger minutes if necessary, but wouldn't demand a bunch of court time either. I suppose Fes could work as well, but I'm over him. He just hasn't made the improvements necessary for me to care. Great locker room quotes though!

Ohhhh, yea, NEVERMIND on that one. Dont want a 10m per backup.

Saw ATL waived Farmar, did he go to Turkey?
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Aaron Brooks signed with Sacramento. So much for that idea.

Barbosa is still out there. Not a passing PG, but skilled.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Here's a wild idea...what about old Agent ZERO!

Just kidding.

Just saw that Sacramento picked up Aaron Brooks...what the hell are those guys thinking? They've got two promising young PG's and a former rookie of the year PG that they don't want to play PG anymore and they go out and sign Brooks? Are they trying to collect every bonehead in the league? Are they currently in talks with Eddy Curry?

Either Jimmer or Thomas would be nice as a backup PG.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 7:28 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Just kidding.

Just saw that Sacramento picked up Aaron Brooks...what the hell are those guys thinking? They've got two promising young PG's and a former rookie of the year PG that they don't want to play PG anymore and they go out and sign Brooks? Are they trying to collect every bonehead in the league? Are they currently in talks with Eddy Curry?

I dont think both Jimmer and Thomas can both be considered promising. Jimmer's flame is barely flickering out there.....
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Just kidding.

I dont think both Jimmer and Thomas can both be considered promising. Jimmer's flame is barely flickering out there.....

Don't know man, I had some serious doubts myself after last year, but he's looking a lot better in summer league than he did last year. His D is much improved and is at least Steve Nash-esque, he is getting his shots where he wants them against top tier athletes, all he has to do is make his jump shots a little more consistently (which is the one thing there is no doubt he can do) and stop jacking up that running 28 footer and I think he's going to be alright. I think if Burks was starting and Marv Williams coming off the bench, Jimmer would be perfect for that second unit, he's instant offense, and if you are going to have a bunch of guys like Carroll and Williams and Favors and Kanter out there you need a guy that will dominate the ball, run the pick-and-roll, and create.

Now I'm not saying he's my first choice, I'd rather have Thomas, I've just been fairly impressed with what I have seen from Jimmer this summer. He still needs to work on his PG skills, specifically learning to set up his teammates better, but you can tell he's been working on some stuff and it looks like he's back to being the confident volume shooting scorer he was in college.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:47 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Don't know man, I had some serious doubts myself after last year, but he's looking a lot better in summer league than he did last year. His D is much improved and is at least Steve Nash-esque, he is getting his shots where he wants them against top tier athletes, all he has to do is make his jump shots a little more consistently (which is the one thing there is no doubt he can do) and stop jacking up that running 28 footer and I think he's going to be alright. I think if Burks was starting and Marv Williams coming off the bench, Jimmer would be perfect for that second unit, he's instant offense, and if you are going to have a bunch of guys like Carroll and Williams and Favors and Kanter out there you need a guy that will dominate the ball, run the pick-and-roll, and create.

Now I'm not saying he's my first choice, I'd rather have Thomas, I've just been fairly impressed with what I have seen from Jimmer this summer. He still needs to work on his PG skills, specifically learning to set up his teammates better, but you can tell he's been working on some stuff and it looks like he's back to being the confident volume shooting scorer he was in college.

Is that right? I just saw a couple NBAtv highlights and pundits saying the Jimmer isn't really getting it done. I had gotten the impression that he hadn't changed much from his demotion days the 2nd half of last season. Maybe I should have seen for myself more Jimmer highlights first.

I'll say though, I look at Jimmer as someone who should be doing what Burks did in Summer league, unlike the way I look at Kanter who I'm looking for improvement, and doing what he does well, and progression in areas. Jimmer should be Burks, especially because he already got the college years too.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:05 pm

I've watched Jimmer. He's not getting the job done; oozes frustration. Kid really needs a fresh start...
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 6:44 am

outerspacefan wrote:
I've watched Jimmer. He's not getting the job done; oozes frustration. Kid really needs a fresh start...

Saw highlights of his last summer game. 30 points on 10-21 shooting. Nice game.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 am

zero24gravity wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

He can shoot, no news there. He's not getting the job done as a PG.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:42 am

outerspacefan wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

He can shoot, no news there. He's not getting the job done as a PG.

Well a backup PG needs to be able to hit shots and that is what he does best I think he would be a good fit with the Jazz and who knows in time he just might be able to come around with the other things a starting PG needs to be able to do. Right now with Hayward and Burks on the team they won't need to relie on him handling the ball, that is what the Kings wanted him to do when they was good with Tyreke Evans running the point guard position.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 am

zero24gravity wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

I've watched all of his summer league games, and I thought he looked like BYU Jimmer, only beter because he's actually playing D now, in all of them.

I'll tell you what the real problem is with Jimmer, people think he can only be successfull by being something he isn't. What he isn't is everybody's expectation of a white PG. That's right, I went there, not to race bait but simply to talk about expectations. People think he has to be Steve Nash to be successfull, dishing 10 assists a game, setting up his teamates, waiting patiently for his opportunity to shoot. Well guess what that's not Jimmer, and no matter how much all of his teamates think it should be his job (and if you don't think they think that way just find a copy of last nights game and watch the way his teamates react to his play) to set them up so they can do their thing because he's to short and too white to do what they do, he's not that guy, and he never will be. What Jimmer is, is a ball dominating volume shooter, and a pretty damn good one. He's more Mo Almond than Steve Nash.

Unfortunately, like Mo Almond, he may find himself stuck in that uncomfortable position where, in spite of being great at what they do, they are not good enough to be who they are in the NBA. Why? Because in the NBA only elite alpha dogs get to be ball dominating volume scorers, everybody else needs to fill a different role.

So ultimately, the problem with Jimmer is not that he can't do in the NBA what he did in college, it's that what he did in college isn't what they want him to do in the NBA. And unfortunately, if he can't become somebody he's not right now, he's probably not going to make it long in the NBA.

I think that's a shame, because I think that it has as much to do with NBA ego's and a lack of creativity and flexibility in coaching as much as anything else. It's super common for coaches to build their offense around one or two super stars, but how come nobody ever says "you know, I've got this guy who can flat out score the ball with high efficiency and needs to have the ball in his hands to be effective, but he's not good enough to build a team around....so how about we bring him off the bench and give him ownership of the second unit? Lets just put him out there for 10-20 minutes a game in the second and third quarters with a group of guys that compliments him and let him do what he does."

I honestly don't understand why coaches can't make this work with guys like Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, Mo Almond, Jimmer....maybe it's all about player ego? I don't know...[/rant]
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 10:42 am

TheMagnus wrote:

I've watched all of his summer league games, and I thought he looked like BYU Jimmer, only beter because he's actually playing D now, in all of them.

I'll tell you what the real problem is with Jimmer, people think he can only be successfull by being something he isn't. What he isn't is everybody's expectation of a white PG. That's right, I went there, not to race bait but simply to talk about expectations. People think he has to be Steve Nash to be successfull, dishing 10 assists a game, setting up his teamates, waiting patiently for his opportunity to shoot. Well guess what that's not Jimmer, and no matter how much all of his teamates think it should be his job (and if you don't think they think that way just find a copy of last nights game and watch the way his teamates react to his play) to set them up so they can do their thing because he's to short and too white to do what they do, he's not that guy, and he never will be. What Jimmer is, is a ball dominating volume shooter, and a pretty damn good one. He's more Mo Almond than Steve Nash.

Unfortunately, like Mo Almond, he may find himself stuck in that uncomfortable position where, in spite of being great at what they do, they are not good enough to be who they are in the NBA. Why? Because in the NBA only elite alpha dogs get to be ball dominating volume scorers, everybody else needs to fill a different role.

So ultimately, the problem with Jimmer is not that he can't do in the NBA what he did in college, it's that what he did in college isn't what they want him to do in the NBA. And unfortunately, if he can't become somebody he's not right now, he's probably not going to make it long in the NBA.

I think that's a shame, because I think that it has as much to do with NBA ego's and a lack of creativity and flexibility in coaching as much as anything else. It's super common for coaches to build their offense around one or two super stars, but how come nobody ever says "you know, I've got this guy who can flat out score the ball with high efficiency and needs to have the ball in his hands to be effective, but he's not good enough to build a team around....so how about we bring him off the bench and give him ownership of the second unit? Lets just put him out there for 10-20 minutes a game in the second and third quarters with a group of guys that compliments him and let him do what he does."

I honestly don't understand why coaches can't make this work with guys like Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, Mo Almond, Jimmer....maybe it's all about player ego? I don't know...[/rant]

Sadly, the comparison came down to Mo Almond and Steven Nash, one successful and one not. ....

You think Jimmer is more talented than Jamal Crawford? And has Crawford been successful?? That'd certainly be Jimmers peak, and Crawford is what he is.....a journey man scorer. But Jimmer not as good as Crawford is...

I dont know about the white part Magnus, so much as I dont think Jimmer can be successful. Or at least anything more than a guy that plays for a zillion teams. I think the real answer is pretty straighforward, IMO it's that in a team game, ball dominant one one one type players dont work. I mean all those guys always move around and play for like 5-8 teams, because teams want them to win games, but when you are that ball dominant but only make 45% of your shots at best, all while not really making others better or contributing elsewhere, then 45% of the time doesn't translate to wins. All those alpha dogs like MJ wannabe or Lebron also do other things on the court, OR can score from everywhere and can get their shot off against anyone.
Jimmer simply hasn't shown he can do that; if there's one place he could, it'd be summer league. Bobby Jackson also said, and I'll try to find it again, that Jimmer needs to be Jimmer, and do what he does best, not be something else.

As for what he did in college, and I admit I didn't see much, but the one game I remember was his last in the tournament. Maybe he was in a weak league in college, and when he came up against top competition, he just isn't good enough???

Whats the difference in Burks and Jimmer, and how the coaches want them to play in Summer League? Seems to me it's the exact same, but so far Jimmer has only shown one game. He's getting his chance, he just needs to be good enough.

I never wanted Jimmer for this team, still dont, and am so glad we didn't reach. I think Jimmer's greatest achievement can be to become Ben Gordon, who is now on his, what, 4th team? And has been mostly irrelevant. A guy that can score 30pts in 3 quarters every so often, really isn't that great, and doesn't get the team wins.

IMO, in basketball when you have 5 guys on the court at the same time, successful teams have teammates that make others better or do other things besides shooting an average FG%.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am

I agree with Mags let Jimmer come off of the bench and be the scorer on the floor for the second unit, thats where he fits in best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off-season roster improvements   Off-season roster improvements - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Off-season roster improvements
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next