Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  If Corbin gets fired.... Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

If Corbin gets fired....

Go down 
+10
outerspacefan
zero24gravity
MTJazz
Romoholic
Sackataters
Professo_Sloan
Mutangclan
TheMagnus
therawns
The Voice of Reason
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

If Corbin gets fired.... Empty
PostSubject: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Who do y'all think would be a GOOD replacement?
It has to be someone available, and realistic. We all know Phil Jackson ain't coming here. Jerry won't come back (not that he should). I can ALMOST see Phil being talked into a return stint.

Who do you want?
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 am

The Voice of Reason wrote:
It has to be someone available, and realistic. We all know Phil Jackson ain't coming here. Jerry won't come back (not that he should). I can ALMOST see Phil being talked into a return stint.

Who do you want?

Nobody. How much talent does he really have to work with? If Paul Millsap is your best player, you dont have a ton to work with. Look, I love watching millsap as much as anybody, but there is no way he should be the best player on a team.

I know we get frustrated with him playing vets, but come on now. Overall, I think he has done a pretty good job. Great? Probably not, but still a solid job.

It will get tougher here for another week, then the schedule eases up. Only Denver has played more games on the road.

Going into the season, if I would have told you that after the first 35 games the Jazz would have played 21 of them on the road, what would you expect the record to be? I expected 46-47 wins. The next six games are not at home but just go with this for a second. What if they were? 6 more games and the jazz are at the halfway point. Go 5-1 on it or 4-2, you are in the low 40's in terms of wins.

Look at the roster. Is this a 50 win roster, especially in the west?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 am

therawns wrote:

Who do you want?

Nobody. How much talent does he really have to work with? If Paul Millsap is your best player, you dont have a ton to work with. Look, I love watching millsap as much as anybody, but there is no way he should be the best player on a team.

I know we get frustrated with him playing vets, but come on now. Overall, I think he has done a pretty good job. Great? Probably not, but still a solid job.

It will get tougher here for another week, then the schedule eases up. Only Denver has played more games on the road.

Going into the season, if I would have told you that after the first 35 games the Jazz would have played 21 of them on the road, what would you expect the record to be? I expected 46-47 wins. The next six games are not at home but just go with this for a second. What if they were? 6 more games and the jazz are at the halfway point. Go 5-1 on it or 4-2, you are in the low 40's in terms of wins.

I actually think it was a 50 win roster, but not any more. If you project out home and road records over the rest of the season you end up at 42-43 wins, so that is probably what we are looking at if everything stays the same. The schedule gets easier from here on out so improving on that isn't out of the question, but doing it without Mo may be.

I guess the most disappointing thing to me is that I don't see Corbin helping the team to be better, I don't see him helping the players to play at their proven ability, much less above it, and at times he seems to really be negatively effecting the teams performance with the way he is handling them. I think the measure of a good coach is two fold, 1) he gets the most out of his players, and 2) he knows how to translate that performance into winning games. So far Corbins success in both is dubious at best.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
therawns wrote:

Who do you want?

I actually think it was a 50 win roster, but not any more. If you project out home and road records over the rest of the season you end up at 42-43 wins, so that is probably what we are looking at if everything stays the same. The schedule gets easier from here on out so improving on that isn't out of the question, but doing it without Mo may be.

I guess the most disappointing thing to me is that I don't see Corbin helping the team to be better, I don't see him helping the players to play at their proven ability, much less above it, and at times he seems to really be negatively effecting the teams performance with the way he is handling them. I think the measure of a good coach is two fold, 1) he gets the most out of his players, and 2) he knows how to translate that performance into winning games. So far Corbins success in both is dubious at best.

Well, I think what we're already seeing is guys getting pissed off, Paul etc. And once that starts happening, thats a sign of losing the whole "whats best for the team" attitude. And once that begins, then its very likely that Corbin starts to lose the team entirely. Infighting etc.

These guys aren't idiots. Paul knows he shouldn't be the first one pulled out of the game. And DC/Hayward even Burks know they should be getting a starting spot over Foye. These guys KNOW alot of the things that should be happening. And if they dont start happening soon, Corbin will lose the team entirely. I'm just not so sure thats a bad thing though.

I'd probably like to see someone like Nate McMillian. Experienced, has seen success, but mostly a defensive minded coach, who isn't going to be blinded with the offense that Al and Foye bring.
Back to top Go down
therawns
Starter

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
therawns wrote:

Who do you want?

Well, I think what we're already seeing is guys getting pissed off, Paul etc. And once that starts happening, thats a sign of losing the whole "whats best for the team" attitude. And once that begins, then its very likely that Corbin starts to lose the team entirely. Infighting etc.

These guys aren't idiots. Paul knows he shouldn't be the first one pulled out of the game. And DC/Hayward even Burks know they should be getting a starting spot over Foye. These guys KNOW alot of the things that should be happening. And if they dont start happening soon, Corbin will lose the team entirely. I'm just not so sure thats a bad thing though.

I'd probably like to see someone like Nate McMillian. Experienced, has seen success, but mostly a defensive minded coach, who isn't going to be blinded with the offense that Al and Foye bring.

I agree McMillan would be the best if they go a different route. Im just saying its not time yet.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 3:36 pm

You might as well get over this because Corbin isn't getting fired. He's a solid coach who will get a chance to prove himself when he has some talent to work with. The growth of Kanter, Favors, and Hayward (in that order) has been encouraging and might provide us a platform to evaluate Corbin from. Also, his role in bringing the youngins along, being patient while they learn new tricks, can't be overstated.

Let's see what the team looks like post-deadline and look for Corbin to make some playing time changes if no trades are made.
Back to top Go down
Sackataters
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Matt Harpring. Tough guy. Demanding. Sloan disciple. Great communicator.
Back to top Go down
Romoholic
Admin
Romoholic

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Sackataters wrote:

He has zero coaching experience! Don't need another guy that hasn't a clue what he is doing like Corbin.
Back to top Go down
https://jazznation.forumotion.com
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Professo_Sloan wrote:
You might as well get over this because Corbin isn't getting fired. He's a solid coach who will get a chance to prove himself when he has some talent to work with. The growth of Kanter, Favors, and Hayward (in that order) has been encouraging and might provide us a platform to evaluate Corbin from. Also, his role in bringing the youngins along, being patient while they learn new tricks, can't be overstated.

Let's see what the team looks like post-deadline and look for Corbin to make some playing time changes if no trades are made.

Well thats the key right there. Which side of the fence are you on.....the coach that is bringing the youngin's along well, or the coach that is playing the vets in all the wrong spots etc.
Last year I was big on Corbin, right up until he pulled seriously productive DC from the lineup in favor of pathetic Josh Howard, right as the playoffs started. We saw how well that went. Problem is, Ty carried that right on into this season. And I'm not one of those yelling for Burks and Fav to start. But I do belive Randy is in the wrong spot, and unfortunately it's seriously affecting this team. I think one simple switch (DC at the 2) would do wonders.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Scott Skiles is now available. Funny, I thought the Bucks were overacheiving!
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 pm

MTJazz wrote:
Scott Skiles is now available. Funny, I thought the Bucks were overacheiving!

I thought the same. He seems like a tough coach, which I like. But as it was stated earlier in this thread..... "You might as well get over this because Corbin isn't getting fired." I just don't see the Jazz pulling the rug out from under Ty.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:09 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
...I just don't see the Jazz pulling the rug out from under Ty.
That's the way it is.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Sackataters wrote:

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out our very limited rules If you haven't already. Thanks for joining.
Back to top Go down
Sackataters
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:21 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Sackataters wrote:

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out our very limited rules If you haven't already. Thanks for joining.

Thanks, I've been a regular on ESPN, nice to see some engaged jazz fans.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Sackataters wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Sackataters wrote:

We are definitely engaged. We've got stat geeks, in state fans, out of state fans, out of country fans, opinionated fans, wannabe GM's, and a few fun-loving deviants as well. It's a good group.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Sackataters wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Sackataters wrote:

We are definitely engaged. We've got stat geeks, in state fans, out of state fans, out of country fans, opinionated fans, wannabe GM's, and a few fun-loving deviants as well. It's a good group.

You've got that right. I've been a member of a half a dozen jazz forums over the years, and I like this one (RIP trib talk) better than any of the others I've been a member of.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
Well thats the key right there. Which side of the fence are you on.....the coach that is bringing the youngin's along well, or the coach that is playing the vets in all the wrong spots etc.

Son, this is a management question and has little to do with coaching. Corbin's job is to win his season and long term. It's a circus act balancing win now with development win tomorrow, as well as doing management's job of retaining trade value in players before the deadline. Not to mention SnT possibilities. . . .

If you want to be the average obsessed fan then build a fence an pick a side. If you want to understand the business then understand why professionals do what they do. That's my angle anyway.

Mutangclan wrote:
Last year I was big on Corbin, right up until he pulled seriously productive DC from the lineup in favor of pathetic Josh Howard, right as the playoffs started. We saw how well that went. Problem is, Ty carried that right on into this season. And I'm not one of those yelling for Burks and Fav to start. But I do belive Randy is in the wrong spot, and unfortunately it's seriously affecting this team. I think one simple switch (DC at the 2) would do wonders.

I understand. It is a frustrating situation that lends itself to criticism.

It's easy as a fan to want change when it's more than obvious after 10 games max that this team is flawed. It's very hard for a coach with a plan to abandon and go rogue if he wants to experience long term success in the NBA. Tough spot for us all. This sucks.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

You've got that right. I've been a member of a half a dozen jazz forums over the years, and I like this one (RIP trib talk) better than any of the others I've been a member of.

What forums, what handles? (Do you young punks even know what handles means?)

Maybe we can recruite. This place is slower than my morning ****. No offense (to me ha).
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Everybody who thinks it's a moot question is correct. Corbin won't be fired and probably not replaced for next year, either. I think Jazz management is realistic about the team's "chances" to contend: Acquire assets, make smart trades, FA acquisitions, draft better than your opponents and then hope, HOPE that you get lucky-all the players stay healthy, the young ones improve, chemistry aligns and the coach doesn't screw it up.

And if all that comes together we might, MIGHT get a chance to make it to the conference finals every few years. But that's all the NBA is gonna give us. A bare, long-shot chance, while hoping our management is savvy enough to continue to fill seats when the Globetrotters...errr...real contending teams come to town.

I can't imagine Corbin losing the team to such an extent he'd get himself fired, but if it happened, Skiles would be a good coach for the Jazz. He IS tough and he needs a team that will back him up, as the Jazz have repeatedly proven willing to do.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Professo_Sloan wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Son, this is a management question and has little to do with coaching. Corbin's job is to win his season and long term. It's a circus act balancing win now with development win tomorrow, as well as doing management's job of retaining trade value in players before the deadline. Not to mention SnT possibilities. . . .

If you want to be the average obsessed fan then build a fence an pick a side. If you want to understand the business then understand why professionals do what they do. That's my angle anyway.

Mutangclan wrote:

It's easy as a fan to want change when it's more than obvious after 10 games max that this team is flawed. It's very hard for a coach with a plan to abandon and go rogue if he wants to experience long term success in the NBA. Tough spot for us all. This sucks.

I realize you chose Professor for a handle, but no kidding. Management rules all, however Corbin makes the substitutions. And being an averaged obsessed fan, I have the opinion that Corbin isn't doing a very good job. Thats the whole point of this fan-page you're on.
So it's your opinion that Ty Corbin is just doing what "professionals do" ? Corbin playing Foye, is just doing what professionals do?? Because it's my opinion, on this page for fans to discuss their team, that Foye starting games is not any good for the Utah Jazz.

And I never said I wanted change. I said I dont think Ty is doing a good job, and is not the right man for it. I dont even expect change, because I've been a fan of the Utah Jazz since the mid 80's. As for Corbin abandoning his plan, if he didn't even know what he has, then how does he have a hard plan? He didn't. He just hasn't seen the light until injuries forced his eyes to see.

As for changes to the lineup, adding a defensive, rebounding, hustling, open shot hitting, extra possession getting, 110% guy to a lineup that has 2 offense only and one more slow as molasses guys, is not too difficult. You gotta have some kind of spark for those guys. Or much like last year, we get blow away in the 1st quarters, and it carries over.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Professo_Sloan wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Mutangclan wrote:

I realize you chose Professor for a handle, but no kidding. Management rules all, however Corbin makes the substitutions. And being an averaged obsessed fan, I have the opinion that Corbin isn't doing a very good job. Thats the whole point of this fan-page you're on.
So it's your opinion that Ty Corbin is just doing what "professionals do" ? Corbin playing Foye, is just doing what professionals do?? Because it's my opinion, on this page for fans to discuss their team, that Foye starting games is not any good for the Utah Jazz.

And I never said I wanted change. I said I dont think Ty is doing a good job, and is not the right man for it. I dont even expect change, because I've been a fan of the Utah Jazz since the mid 80's. As for Corbin abandoning his plan, if he didn't even know what he has, then how does he have a hard plan? He didn't. He just hasn't seen the light until injuries forced his eyes to see.

As for changes to the lineup, adding a defensive, rebounding, hustling, open shot hitting, extra possession getting, 110% guy to a lineup that has 2 offense only and one more slow as molasses guys, is not too difficult. You gotta have some kind of spark for those guys. Or much like last year, we get blow away in the 1st quarters, and it carries over.

Great post Putang. Would give up points if Modgod didn't limit my perfect powers.

Especially on Foye starting.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 am

Alright, so Foye is still starting, and the first unit is still starting games like crap, but last night agaisnt the Heat I REALLY liked the way Corbin coached the rest of that game.

Demarre Carroll was the first guy off the bench.

Burks got all of the second half minutes at backup PG.

Foye didn't play a minute in the 4th quarter.

Corbin shortented the rotation in this one, reducing the minutes of Foye, Kanter, Watson, and Burks in favor of more minutes for the other starters, Carroll, and Hayward. This is a winning strategy, and I hope that it wasn't a mirage.

This proves to me that Corbin isn't beyond hope. The one change that remains for him to totally redeem himself in my eyes, and the mountain of evidence proving it's validity has only grown with time, is getting Foye out of the starting lineup. This is something that continues to astonish me as the evidence grows each and every game. Not only does Foye not really work with the first unit, he also works REALLY WELL along side Burks and Hayward with Burks at the point. Giving Carroll more minutes with the first unit, and Foye more minutes with the second unit is a small change that I think would pay huge dividends.

Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 3:20 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Alright, so Foye is still starting, and the first unit is still starting games like crap, but last night agaisnt the Heat I REALLY liked the way Corbin coached the rest of that game.

Corbin shortented the rotation in this one, reducing the minutes of Foye, Kanter, Watson, and Burks in favor of more minutes for the other starters, Carroll, and Hayward. This is a winning strategy, and I hope that it wasn't a mirage.

This proves to me that Corbin isn't beyond hope. The one change that remains for him to totally redeem himself in my eyes, and the mountain of evidence proving it's validity has only grown with time, is getting Foye out of the starting lineup. This is something that continues to astonish me as the evidence grows each and every game. Not only does Foye not really work with the first unit, he also works REALLY WELL along side Burks and Hayward with Burks at the point. Giving Carroll more minutes with the first unit, and Foye more minutes with the second unit is a small change that I think would pay huge dividends.

While the injury bug was the catalyst for moving some minutes and personnel around Corbin finally appears to have figured out mostly who works well together. No coincidence, the Jazz are winning games again, looking more like the team I thought they would be. Corbin is tough to figure out - really bad minutes/roster management/habits then all of the sudden doing a good job. I wonder if there is a back story....
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 3:45 pm

MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

While the injury bug was the catalyst for moving some minutes and personnel around Corbin finally appears to have figured out mostly who works well together. No coincidence, the Jazz are winning games again, looking more like the team I thought they would be. Corbin is tough to figure out - really bad minutes/roster management/habits then all of the sudden doing a good job. I wonder if there is a back story....

While all this talk of Corban "getting it" may be partially true, he did still go with Marving, who was not very effective, last night at the end, instead of Carroll, who was having a great game. If the end result is a win, then I'm happy though.
Back to top Go down
The Voice of Reason
Admin
The Voice of Reason

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 4:22 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
MTJazz wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

While all this talk of Corban "getting it" may be partially true, he did still go with Marving, who was not very effective, last night at the end, instead of Carroll, who was having a great game. If the end result is a win, then I'm happy though.

Part of that may be because DC was getting burned trying to defend LBJ in the post earlier. That could be why DC was out of the rotation in the end. Maybe not though. Not sure if Marvin did any better though...or if that was even his defensive assignment,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... Empty

Back to top Go down

If Corbin gets fired....
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next