Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

If Corbin gets fired....

Go down 
+10
outerspacefan
zero24gravity
MTJazz
Romoholic
Sackataters
Professo_Sloan
Mutangclan
TheMagnus
therawns
The Voice of Reason
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 pm

The Voice of Reason wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

While all this talk of Corban "getting it" may be partially true, he did still go with Marving, who was not very effective, last night at the end, instead of Carroll, who was having a great game. If the end result is a win, then I'm happy though.

Part of that may be because DC was getting burned trying to defend LBJ in the post earlier. That could be why DC was out of the rotation in the end. Maybe not though. Not sure if Marvin did any better though...or if that was even his defensive assignment,

That's what I was going to say. I liked the decision to go with Marvin, several different people ended up on Lebron, but mostly it was Marvin and Millsap and I thought they did a pretty good job.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Alright, so Foye is still starting, and the first unit is still starting games like crap, but last night agaisnt the Heat I REALLY liked the way Corbin coached the rest of that game.

Demarre Carroll was the first guy off the bench.

Burks got all of the second half minutes at backup PG.

Foye didn't play a minute in the 4th quarter.

Corbin shortented the rotation in this one, reducing the minutes of Foye, Kanter, Watson, and Burks in favor of more minutes for the other starters, Carroll, and Hayward. This is a winning strategy, and I hope that it wasn't a mirage.

This proves to me that Corbin isn't beyond hope. The one change that remains for him to totally redeem himself in my eyes, and the mountain of evidence proving it's validity has only grown with time, is getting Foye out of the starting lineup. This is something that continues to astonish me as the evidence grows each and every game. Not only does Foye not really work with the first unit, he also works REALLY WELL along side Burks and Hayward with Burks at the point. Giving Carroll more minutes with the first unit, and Foye more minutes with the second unit is a small change that I think would pay huge dividends.

Echo this completely, though you and I have mostly been saying the same thing for awhile.

But also agree on last nights game, after the 1st quarter I really liked the rotations. Its still scary to think that Ty just doesn't get the Foye 1st Unit/2nd Unit thing, but maybe there are other things involved in those lineups. Seems its slowly, SLOWLY going the way I think it should be going, so I guess I"m good. Still surprised at Ty......but eh.

Bottom line though like you said, last nights recipe was a winning one.
Back to top Go down
Professo_Sloan
6th man

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:28 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Alright, so Foye is still starting, and the first unit is still starting games like crap, but last night agaisnt the Heat I REALLY liked the way Corbin coached the rest of that game.

Corbin shortented the rotation in this one, reducing the minutes of Foye, Kanter, Watson, and Burks in favor of more minutes for the other starters, Carroll, and Hayward. This is a winning strategy, and I hope that it wasn't a mirage.

This proves to me that Corbin isn't beyond hope. The one change that remains for him to totally redeem himself in my eyes, and the mountain of evidence proving it's validity has only grown with time, is getting Foye out of the starting lineup. This is something that continues to astonish me as the evidence grows each and every game. Not only does Foye not really work with the first unit, he also works REALLY WELL along side Burks and Hayward with Burks at the point. Giving Carroll more minutes with the first unit, and Foye more minutes with the second unit is a small change that I think would pay huge dividends.

Good lord Magnus. I've been a fan of your rational posting for maybe 10 years running. Why in the hell are you going ape shit on Coach in the face of all he has to manage? I am clueless as to why you wish to sit in the stands with all the other fancrowd when it comes to Coach.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Professo_Sloan wrote:

Good lord Magnus. I've been a fan of your rational posting for maybe 10 years running. Why in the hell are you going ape shit on Coach in the face of all he has to manage? I am clueless as to why you wish to sit in the stands with all the other fancrowd when it comes to Coach.

First of all "ape shit" is a bit of an exaggeration, but your point is taken. I have been feeling a little bad about my criticisms of Corbin, even though I think they are well founded, you are right in that he knows more than any of us.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Professo_Sloan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Corbin has so much that he has to manage?? So much more than any other coach in the league?? Nooooo, sooooo maybe he isn't doing a bang up job? Could that be possible? Play the guys that give you the most, and dont bring negatives. Put the role players in roles. Thats most of it right there.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

Corbin has so much that he has to manage?? So much more than any other coach in the league?? Nooooo, sooooo maybe he isn't doing a bang up job? Could that be possible? Play the guys that give you the most, and dont bring negatives. Put the role players in roles. Thats most of it right there.

One thing I've heard a couple of people talk about is how Corbin doesn't seem to be in a hurry to settle on anything. It's strange because I'm equal parts irritated with the things he changes and the things he doesn't, but the more I think about it the I feel like it is within the realm of possibility that all this time he has basically just been experimenting and trying things out. I mean, we are only halfway through the season, maybe all of this apparent madness has been part of his process, and he's basically just been gathering data, patiently figuring out what works and what doesn't, and once he feels comfortable he'll start to tighten it up for a stretch run.

Who know's, but I've backed away from the edge and feel like he should at least have through the end of this season to show what he's got before I sharpen the pitchfork.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 9:30 am

If I'm coming across as "Fire Corbin!!!", then that is not my intention. It doesn't mean I'm also sitting back saying the guy is doing just fine, because he's got so much on his plate. I think the thing that bothers me the most, is his way of trying to make players what they're not. And certainly guys who have shown for years already what type of player they are, should not be put into roles that dont fit, ie Foye starting/leader/breakdown defense guy, Fav as a low-post dump the ball in ala Al Jeff guy.

Ty really impressed me last season a few times with Cj and some others, when he yanked them when need be. And its great if he's tinkering and trying to see what works, but when you have a guy in the wrong role, a younger guy who fits the role better AND its the time to get minutes for the youth then......giddiYUP man!! I think he's sat back long enough, now its time to shift into high gear, per se.

But it is time, you're right, its halfway through the season. This IS a playoff team and NOT a lottery team. So play the players that give us the best chance to win. And funny thing, its not the vets Foye and Marv that we need to concentrate on. Its a double-dip of Burks/Fav, bringing not just offense, but defense and in Burks, the ability to breakdown the defense if needed to get to the hole/line. For the two of them, their athleticism cannot be overstated. Its needed man. We are lucky that getting the young guys minutes and experience now is also the best way to win.
Foye is great, I'm glad he's on this team. But he's our Korver, the Spurs Danny Green or even Bonner, the Bulls Craig Hodges. He is NOT Scottie Pippen.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 12:35 pm

While I agree that this is a playoff team and it's time to optimize for wins, I think you picked the wrong player's to focus on. The usefulness of athleticizm absolutely can be overrated, and in the case of Burks it is. The truth is that the sum total of his positive contribution has been when he replaces watson, the worst player on the team, at pg. He's not better than Foye, he just isn't.

If you want to talk a shortened rotation of the jazz best players then I think
you have to start with Hayward and Carroll. I'd shorten it to basically 9 guys, Burks would play exclusively backup pg until Mo comes back , kanter would only get scrap minutes, and Hayward Milsap Jefferson and Tinsley would be playing 30+.
Back to top Go down
dongibby
Starter
dongibby

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:44 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
While I agree that this is a playoff team and it's time to optimize for wins, I think you picked the wrong player's to focus on. The usefulness of athleticizm absolutely can be overrated, and in the case of Burks it is. The truth is that the sum total of his positive contribution has been when he replaces watson, the worst player on the team, at pg. He's not better than Foye, he just isn't.

you have to start with Hayward and Carroll. I'd shorten it to basically 9 guys, Burks would play exclusively backup pg until Mo comes back , kanter would only get scrap minutes, and Hayward Milsap Jefferson and Tinsley would be playing 30+.

Foye is a better outside shot by a long shot but other than that IMO Burks is a better player, he is a lot better defender, passer and his ability to get to the basket is a lot better then Foye No question about it. I also think the Burks is a player that the Jazz needs to start bring along, at one time Foye was not the outside shot that he is today he has had many years in the league to work on it and with time and hard work I think Burks can be as good or even better but he has to start getting playing time.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:59 pm

dongibby wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Foye is a better outside shot by a long shot but other than that IMO Burks is a better player, he is a lot better defender, passer and his ability to get to the basket is a lot better then Foye No question about it. I also think the Burks is a player that the Jazz needs to start bring along, at one time Foye was not the outside shot that he is today he has had many years in the league to work on it and with time and hard work I think Burks can be as good or even better but he has to start getting playing time.

I just don't see it when I watch the games, and the numbers don't see it either. He's not a lot better defender (he and Foye have almost identical defenisve numbers and hold opponents to almost identical production), or passer (Foye averages more assists and fewer turnovers), and he may be great at getting to the basket but his finishing has left a lot to be desired this year (only finishing 50% of his attempts in the paint, while Foye finishes 65%).

Like I said before, right now Burks is pretty much all potential, because what he's actually delivering isn't much. His real immediate value is as a replacement for Watson, who has been absolutely awful in every way, not Foye.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

I have no problem with that, make Burks exclusive backup PG. And of course more DC. Except for one thing though on Burks v Foye: Foye is a stopover, and for all intents and purposes, Burks is the future of the Jazz. Should be seeing what we've got.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

I have no problem with that, make Burks exclusive backup PG. And of course more DC. Except for one thing though on Burks v Foye: Foye is a stopover, and for all intents and purposes, Burks is the future of the Jazz. Should be seeing what we've got.

I think with Mo getting hurt has push Ty into playing Burks more than he wanted and we may become better because of it? If burks plays his game and takes it to the hole like a mad man Ty mite not ever get him back off the floor. Like Harp says play your arse off when you get a shot and you'll make coach give you time.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Well that's a different philosophy, I thought we had agreed that we wanted to win now, and worry about the rest later?
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:22 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Well that's a different philosophy, I thought we had agreed that we wanted to win now, and worry about the rest later?

I like Randy and has played better than i was thinking he would. Yes Burks i hope will become a big part of the jazz but sometimes the jazz just trade newbees away without really givin a shot just look at maynard, OKC.I keep hearing jazz want to move him for what ever but i'm not buying they're looking to ship him out. He could became the best young player we have in a couple years? And i think we have some awesome young gun to.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

You're right there....I know you've got the numbers, but watching the games I just can't agree that Burks hurts us defensively more than Foye. He doesn't lose his man as much, he can stay in front of guys more and he's definitely speed. Also I feel like teams can crowd Foye out at the 3, and that pretty much eliminates Foyes effectiveness on the other end. Burks on the other hand, has to be defended everywhere, teams have to account for Burks out there, keep track of him etc. I'm just saying, I think Burks should start, and Foye should still come in with Gordo and get plenty of minutes still. I think it's time, and numbers may not agree, but it appears to this lone fan, that Burks helps this team more on both ends. Foye is just what this teams needs, a knock down 3pt shooter. But not our starting 2. If nothing else, lets at least make Burks the primary back up 1.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 am

Mutangclan wrote:

You're right there....I know you've got the numbers, but watching the games I just can't agree that Burks hurts us defensively more than Foye. He doesn't lose his man as much, he can stay in front of guys more and he's definitely speed. Also I feel like teams can crowd Foye out at the 3, and that pretty much eliminates Foyes effectiveness on the other end. Burks on the other hand, has to be defended everywhere, teams have to account for Burks out there, keep track of him etc. I'm just saying, I think Burks should start, and Foye should still come in with Gordo and get plenty of minutes still. I think it's time, and numbers may not agree, but it appears to this lone fan, that Burks helps this team more on both ends. Foye is just what this teams needs, a knock down 3pt shooter. But not our starting 2. If nothing else, lets at least make Burks the primary back up 1.

I didn't say that I thought Burks was worse than Foye defensively, just that he's not better right now. I don't think that will be true for long due to Burks natural abilities, but he's still learning how to be a good defender. Offensively Burks is all flash and no fire. If I was the opposing team I wouldn't worry to much about him until he proved that he could make a jump shot or two.

I think either Hayward or Carroll should start at the 2 right now. Probably Carroll, since Hayward has been so good with the second unit and Carroll would work better when Mo eventually comes back. I really like the 4 player rotation of Marvin, Gordon, Demarre and Randy. I think it works in any combination and has something for every situation, and I really don't feel like Burks adds anything there at this point.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

I didn't say that I thought Burks was worse than Foye defensively, just that he's not better right now. I don't think that will be true for long due to Burks natural abilities, but he's still learning how to be a good defender. Offensively Burks is all flash and no fire. If I was the opposing team I wouldn't worry to much about him until he proved that he could make a jump shot or two.

I think either Hayward or Carroll should start at the 2 right now. Probably Carroll, since Hayward has been so good with the second unit and Carroll would work better when Mo eventually comes back. I really like the 4 player rotation of Marvin, Gordon, Demarre and Randy. I think it works in any combination and has something for every situation, and I really don't feel like Burks adds anything there at this point.
I think Burks bring what the jazz need more of. Taking it strong to the hole and gets to the line better than any of the others. And getting fouls on the other team takes them off the floor. Plus plus. Burks draws more fouls per minute than any other jazz player. breaking down there D is huge when trying to get open shots... huge.I not sure he needs to start but should be getting 15-20 minutes a game. Some PG and the rest SG. They took him out and allmost cost us the game with the Heat.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Richardale wrote:
I think Burks bring what the jazz need more of. Taking it strong to the hole and gets to the line better than any of the others. And getting fouls on the other team takes them off the floor. Plus plus. Burks draws more fouls per minute than any other jazz player. breaking down there D is huge when trying to get open shots... huge.I not sure he needs to start but should be getting 15-20 minutes a game. Some PG and the rest SG. They took him out and allmost cost us the game with the Heat.

I don't agree with any of that.

Hayward, Favors, and Millsap all draw more fouls per minute than Burks. The Jazz offense was specifically designed so it doesn't rely on guys breaking down the D to open up shots for everyone. Burks was not good in the Heat game, I watched it and I was glad to see him out there instead of Watson, but most of the Heat's comback came with him on the court, he had the worst +/- on the team, the offense was a mess, and he had 0 assits in 8 minutes as the PG.

Wait... I was wrong, I do agree with you that drawing fouls on the other team is a good thing. So I guess there's that...
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Richardale wrote:
I like Randy and has played better than i was thinking he would. Yes Burks i hope will become a big part of the jazz but sometimes the jazz just trade newbees away without really givin a shot just look at maynard, OKC.I keep hearing jazz want to move him for what ever but i'm not buying they're looking to ship him out. He could became the best young player we have in a couple years? And i think we have some awesome young gun to.

You talking about this guy..... ?

Since falling out of the rotation and becoming a seldom-used third stringer, Eric Maynor has logged just 20 minutes in the past 10 games.

He now enters Friday's road game against the rival yet reeling Los Angeles Lakers at a crossroad.

Maynor has appeared in only five of the past 10 contests, and the majority of those sparse minutes have come in mop-up duty.

But rather than agreeing to a D-League assignment simply for playing purposes as he continues to regain his rhythm from last year's devastating knee injury that cost him the final 57 games and the entire playoffs, Maynor said he prefers to remain on the Thunder roster.

Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Mutangclan wrote:

Agreed!! I can't believe I slipped away from DC. Yes, more than Burks and Foye, DC should start. Now.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Mutangclan wrote:

Agreed!! I can't believe I slipped away from DC. Yes, more than Burks and Foye, DC should start. Now.[/quote]

Back to the thread topic, I could see that happening if Corbin got fired, but it will take an injury to Foye for DC to start, or GH.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 7:04 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Richardale wrote:

I don't agree with any of that.

Hayward, Favors, and Millsap all draw more fouls per minute than Burks. The Jazz offense was specifically designed so it doesn't rely on guys breaking down the D to open up shots for everyone. Burks was not good in the Heat game, I watched it and I was glad to see him out there instead of Watson, but most of the Heat's comback came with him on the court, he had the worst +/- on the team, the offense was a mess, and he had 0 assits in 8 minutes as the PG.

Wait... I was wrong, I do agree with you that drawing fouls on the other team is a good thing. So I guess there's that...

So you dont think Burks should be getting 15 20 minutes a game? Would you rather sit him on bench to rot away? If its all about winning today you maybe costing yourself rings down the road? I would rather grow our young guns more now to be stronger in years to come.Time on floor is priceless for these young guns.
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 7:10 pm

You know the jazz have a snowballs chance in hell to win it all this year so why not push our youth for tomarrow.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Richardale wrote:
You know the jazz have a snowballs chance in hell to win it all this year so why not push our youth for tomarrow.

Yup ditto. and I just hit you with a reputation point! Plus addendum, the Jazz don't have a snowball's chance in hell to win a championship in the next ten years either, but being spunky threats is what keeps us in the game! (And that hasn't happened in over a decade). Jazz are and will be just this and that until the next Stockton-to-Malone, and that was a freak event.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 8:56 am

Yea, I actually was going to hit up ole Richard with a rep point, hah.

I think by moving Foye to the 6th-7th man, it would actually help him be more consistent as well. He can come in bombs away, catching passes off of Gordo, drive and dish etc. I think they could be a really good combo.

When I watch Burks, its like he's almost there, just needs some time spent with those guys to get comfortable. And with Burks being a big part of the future, I just want Foye put in the place where he fits best, which is an off the bench shooter. And with Fav and Gordo on the second unit also, it's an ideal fit.

Either way, I posted somewhere else that according to Chad Ford, every GM in the league thinks Utah is moving Al, or maybe Paul. So most likely, KOC/Lindsey already have a plan in place and what we're seeing is guys playing for a reason right now, not 100% as the best guys in the best spot. Example, maybe Foye is going to be included in a trade or something.......

I'm really looking forward to after the trade line passes, because I think we'll see what this team has got, with the right guys playing etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Corbin gets fired....   If Corbin gets fired.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

If Corbin gets fired....
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next