Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rumors, rumors, rumors

Go down 
+15
Romoholic
outerspacefan
Professo_Sloan
not-worried-man
therawns
Tarakaan
thejazzkickazz
dongibby
zero24gravity
Richardale
The Voice of Reason
Mutangclan
MTJazz
TheMagnus
Jazz Dog
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Leoverine
Rookie

Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Forgive my laziness, but i remember seeing that Vasquez will be a FA next season, is that right?

If so, IMHO he is the best available PG for the Jazz. Sure CP3 would be better, but let's be realistic, he's not coming to Utah, but Vasquez is a real possibility and he is playing well, a true passer.
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Leoverine wrote:
Forgive my laziness, but i remember seeing that Vasquez will be a FA next season, is that right?

If so, IMHO he is the best available PG for the Jazz. Sure CP3 would be better, but let's be realistic, he's not coming to Utah, but Vasquez is a real possibility and he is playing well, a true passer.

Sounds good to me. He's big, not real fast or quick, but he can shoot and pass-sounds perfect.

I kind of like the idea of the Jazz being BIG at the PG, with Vasquez and Burks. It goes well with being BIG at SG (Hayward, and if Burks plays there, he's good size too), SF (Dermarre!! Marvin, also Haywards' pretty big for a SF), PF (Favors! Millsap would be the only smallish player for his position on the roster I'd like to see).

I'd also like to see us pick up a couple of BIG WHITE STIFFS! There, I said it. Just a couple of 7 footers to fill in if we have foul trouble or injuries to our Big Big 3 of Millsap, Favors, Kanter. If they have some actual skills, like Nick Collison or Koufos, all the better. They don't HAVE to be complete collinses*. We should also be open to the prospect of taking on very large black players of limited skill (see definition below).

*-collins n. a basketball player of great size, but possessing no actual playing ability. Sometimes confused with 'collison', which refers to a basketball player of unprepossessing athletic gifts, but who displays knowledge, awareness and skill in areas that produce neither highlights nor statistics.
Back to top Go down
Crunchtime1
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 12:51 am

Yes, Vasquez sounds and looks good, but I think NO has a team option on him for his fourth season starting next fall, and then after that he would be NO's restricted free agent in summer, 2014. I could be wrong though, because I have seen conflicting information regarding his status.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 12:12 pm

MTJazz wrote:

I'd actually take KK over Foye, his 3 pt and fg % is a bit better and he is a better rebounder and defender. In general is a more diverse player. However, Randy comes pretty cheap and he didn't do anything this year that increased his value so I bet the Jazz FO would do the math and try and re-sign him before they went after Korver.

Yea, completely agree. I'd prefer KK, but I'll be happy when the resign Foye to a decent contract.

And we're talking about Grievas Vasquez, or Fran? I dont think Grievas is going anywhere. Rivers hasn't shown a thing. Frans too old. And Lala is already married to Melo, and I dont care for Melo.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Jazz have ZERO chance to land Vasquez. Dude will get a giant paycheck, be it in NO or seomwhere else.
That said, he's kind of an ideal PG for us.
Back to top Go down
Leoverine
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 8:15 pm

outerspacefan wrote:
Jazz have ZERO chance to land Vasquez. Dude will get a giant paycheck, be it in NO or seomwhere else.

Jazz is among the teams that can offer a giant paycheck. I think he's worth it.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Leoverine wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

Not sure why we are discussing him as a possible free agent this summer, he's got one more year on his rookie deal.

He is a nice looking player though, 15/10 is a solid contribution from a starting PG, and in the Jazz system it would probably be more like 11 or 12 assists a game. Being a facilitator is hands down the strongest part of his game, and the thing that many of us think is what the Jazz really need in a PG.

One thing that surprises me is that he attacks the basket fairly regularly, but only finishes those shots about 50% of the time and almost never goes to the FT line. I really mean almost never, he only shoots an average of 2 free throws a game, which is about the same as Mo Williams, but he also shoots substantially more shots in the paint than Mo does. Basically in short hand that means that he's not a very efficient offensive player in spite of the fact that he can shoot and penetrate, usually a combination that = good scorer.

He's never going to be mistaken for an elite defender, but he's serviceable and doesn't seem to hurt his team when he's out there.

When it comes to a PG solution I'm really leaning towards making a splash in this years draft. There are several guys that are looking really good.

I watched this Marcus Smart kid play a couple days ago and that guy is freaking impressive. He's still a little raw but holy crap does he have some ability. Built like a linebacker, great handle, aggressive, and super competitive, reminded me a bit of Eric Bledsoe only bigger. He's probably a top 5 pick though, so getting him seems unlikely.

More likely are a few guys that I think are really solid and are projected in the mid first round, Michael Carter-Williams and Trey Burke are the two I have my eye on. Carter-Williams is the highest rated because of his size and athletic ability, but Burke is by far the best basketball player. Burke is a bit "undersized" but the kid can flat out play. ESPN and Draft Express both have him at #16, which is right where the Jazz could be picking.

Some more on Burke...

Chad Ford wrote:

Feb 27 Update: Burke continues to be the most efficient point guard in the country and a very legit candidate for player of the year. He was insanely efficient against Illinois on Sunday, shooting eight for 11 from the field and handing out eight assists to just one turnover. If he were a few inches taller or just a little more explosive of an athlete, he'd be a lock for the top five.

Jan 28 Update: Burke is making a strong case to be the national player of the year. His college stats are stellar: 17.8 points and 7.2 assists per game while shooting 50 percent from the field and 38 percent from 3-point range. Additionally, 30 percent of Burke's possessions end in an assist, compared to just 7 percent of his possessions ending in a turnover. That's remarkable. He's got the perfect balance between scoring and helping others, and he plays almost mistake-free basketball. If he were a little taller (he's 6-foot) or more of an explosive athlete, he'd be ranked even higher. However, Burke is slowly creeping up to the lottery range in this year's draft and current sits at No. 16 in our Top 100.

Dec 14 Update: Burke was a surprise story last season. Recruiting services weren't in love with him, and he wasn't expected to have the impact he had on the Wolverines as a freshman. Burke strongly flirted with declaring for the draft last year but eventually returned to Michigan once he realized he'd be a second-round pick. This year? He has improved his numbers across the board, is the heart and soul of the No. 3 team in the country and is being mentioned as perhaps the best point guard in college basketball. His lack of elite size will keep him from being a lottery pick, but he is firmly planted in the first round.

Dec 10 Update: Burke has almost doubled his assist-to-turnover ratio this season (to nearly 3-1) while improving his shooting percentages across the board. Burke is more of a late-first-round NBA prospect because of his lack of ideal size (6-0, 190), but as far as college point guards, he's as important to his team as any point guard in the country.

Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 am

TheMagnus wrote:
Leoverine wrote:
outerspacefan wrote:

Not sure why we are discussing him as a possible free agent this summer, he's got one more year on his rookie deal.

He is a nice looking player though, 15/10 is a solid contribution from a starting PG, and in the Jazz system it would probably be more like 11 or 12 assists a game. Being a facilitator is hands down the strongest part of his game, and the thing that many of us think is what the Jazz really need in a PG.

One thing that surprises me is that he attacks the basket fairly regularly, but only finishes those shots about 50% of the time and almost never goes to the FT line. I really mean almost never, he only shoots an average of 2 free throws a game, which is about the same as Mo Williams, but he also shoots substantially more shots in the paint than Mo does. Basically in short hand that means that he's not a very efficient offensive player in spite of the fact that he can shoot and penetrate, usually a combination that = good scorer.

He's never going to be mistaken for an elite defender, but he's serviceable and doesn't seem to hurt his team when he's out there.

When it comes to a PG solution I'm really leaning towards making a splash in this years draft. There are several guys that are looking really good.

I watched this Marcus Smart kid play a couple days ago and that guy is freaking impressive. He's still a little raw but holy crap does he have some ability. Built like a linebacker, great handle, aggressive, and super competitive, reminded me a bit of Eric Bledsoe only bigger. He's probably a top 5 pick though, so getting him seems unlikely.

More likely are a few guys that I think are really solid and are projected in the mid first round, Michael Carter-Williams and Trey Burke are the two I have my eye on. Carter-Williams is the highest rated because of his size and athletic ability, but Burke is by far the best basketball player. Burke is a bit "undersized" but the kid can flat out play. ESPN and Draft Express both have him at #16, which is right where the Jazz could be picking.

Some more on Burke...

Chad Ford wrote:

Feb 27 Update: Burke continues to be the most efficient point guard in the country and a very legit candidate for player of the year. He was insanely efficient against Illinois on Sunday, shooting eight for 11 from the field and handing out eight assists to just one turnover. If he were a few inches taller or just a little more explosive of an athlete, he'd be a lock for the top five.

Jan 28 Update: Burke is making a strong case to be the national player of the year. His college stats are stellar: 17.8 points and 7.2 assists per game while shooting 50 percent from the field and 38 percent from 3-point range. Additionally, 30 percent of Burke's possessions end in an assist, compared to just 7 percent of his possessions ending in a turnover. That's remarkable. He's got the perfect balance between scoring and helping others, and he plays almost mistake-free basketball. If he were a little taller (he's 6-foot) or more of an explosive athlete, he'd be ranked even higher. However, Burke is slowly creeping up to the lottery range in this year's draft and current sits at No. 16 in our Top 100.

Dec 14 Update: Burke was a surprise story last season. Recruiting services weren't in love with him, and he wasn't expected to have the impact he had on the Wolverines as a freshman. Burke strongly flirted with declaring for the draft last year but eventually returned to Michigan once he realized he'd be a second-round pick. This year? He has improved his numbers across the board, is the heart and soul of the No. 3 team in the country and is being mentioned as perhaps the best point guard in college basketball. His lack of elite size will keep him from being a lottery pick, but he is firmly planted in the first round.

Dec 10 Update: Burke has almost doubled his assist-to-turnover ratio this season (to nearly 3-1) while improving his shooting percentages across the board. Burke is more of a late-first-round NBA prospect because of his lack of ideal size (6-0, 190), but as far as college point guards, he's as important to his team as any point guard in the country.

I'm going to reply about the draft over here in this thread....

https://jazznation.forumotion.com/t456-2013-nba-draft#8248

With the trade deadline gone, it's not too early to start figuring out the draft.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
Leoverine
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Devin Harris will be available, woudn't he be great!!! tongue
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Leoverine wrote:

I know that's a joke, but honeslty, if you think about it ..... wouldn't it have been better to have Devin than Marv this year? Mo has missed almost the entire season, so Devin would have been the starting point. Marv, at this point, is not doing much except taking minutes from Carroll.

Harris + DC getting more run > Marvin & Tinsley/Watson, right?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Leoverine wrote:

I know that's a joke, but honeslty, if you think about it ..... wouldn't it have been better to have Devin than Marv this year? Mo has missed almost the entire season, so Devin would have been the starting point. Marv, at this point, is not doing much except taking minutes from Carroll.

This made me sad, because it is absolutely true. I'd never even thought about the "what-if" of that deal never happening. It's amazing that a deal that seemed so sensible when it was made could turn out to be a loser for the Jazz in almost every way imaginable.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:53 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Leoverine wrote:

This made me sad, because it is absolutely true. I'd never even thought about the "what-if" of that deal never happening. It's amazing that a deal that seemed so sensible when it was made could turn out to be a loser for the Jazz in almost every way imaginable.

And just to add a little salt to the wound ..... Harris would have been coming off the books this offseason, whereas Marvin is almost certainly going to pick up his $8+million option, leaving the Jazz less financial flexibilty. The bright side is, this negative could be offset if the Jazz can somehow use Marv's expriing contract to nab a more useful player.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:35 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Leoverine wrote:

And just to add a little salt to the wound ..... Harris would have been coming off the books this offseason, whereas Marvin is almost certainly going to pick up his $8+million option, leaving the Jazz less financial flexibilty. The bright side is, this negative could be offset if the Jazz can somehow use Marv's expriing contract to nab a more useful player.

Haha, knock it off Zero!! Well, I will say this, that had Mo not gone down this wouldn't have seemed like such an issue, and at the time we were all pretty much done with Devin, and I believe most, me for sure, thought that Marvin was a great move to make to see if he could do something. At a minimum he was one of those 3pt shooters we needed so badly.

Sucks now in hindsight, but at least at the time this was pretty much a move everyone liked.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Mutangclan wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Leoverine wrote:

Haha, knock it off Zero!! Well, I will say this, that had Mo not gone down this wouldn't have seemed like such an issue, and at the time we were all pretty much done with Devin, and I believe most, me for sure, thought that Marvin was a great move to make to see if he could do something. At a minimum he was one of those 3pt shooters we needed so badly.

Sucks now in hindsight, but at least at the time this was pretty much a move everyone liked.

Sorry guys!

But I just thought of a positive spin to put on this otherwise sad tale .... If Devin were here playing the point in Mo's absence, then I'm 112% sure that Tinsley & Watson would have held down the back-up job, and Burks would have never had the chance to get on the court & show everyone why he's such a promising talent. So yah, the Marv for Devin trade may have not panned out perfectly, and you are right, we almost all agreed it was a nice deal at the time, but Burks' emergence may have never happened if not for that trade.

There you go..... happy thoughts for everyone! clown
Back to top Go down
Trollificus
All Star
Trollificus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 5:26 pm

zero24gravity wrote:

Sorry guys!

But I just thought of a positive spin to put on this otherwise sad tale .... If Devin were here playing the point in Mo's absence, then I'm 112% sure that Tinsley & Watson would have held down the back-up job, and Burks would have never had the chance to get on the court & show everyone why he's such a promising talent. So yah, the Marv for Devin trade may have not panned out perfectly, and you are right, we almost all agreed it was a nice deal at the time, but Burks' emergence may have never happened if not for that trade.

Way to go! So you're the guy with the silver pen? For drawing the linings on stuff?

Good to know. I'll get back to you for that when the Jazz announce Corbin's extension. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Trollificus wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Sorry guys!

Way to go! So you're the guy with the silver pen? For drawing the linings on stuff?

Good to know. I'll get back to you for that when the Jazz announce Corbin's extension. Crying or Very sad

Oh he'll. I may have to start pre planning for that now, cause it'll take some work. I do like a challenge though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rumors, rumors, rumors
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7