Utah Jazz Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Home of the greatest fans in the NBA!

HomeHome  Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 Empty  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rumors, rumors, rumors

Go down 
+15
Romoholic
outerspacefan
Professo_Sloan
not-worried-man
therawns
Tarakaan
thejazzkickazz
dongibby
zero24gravity
Richardale
The Voice of Reason
Mutangclan
MTJazz
TheMagnus
Jazz Dog
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Here's a deal that doesn't make any sense for anybody involved, but still manages to take up space in the rumor frenzy that is the week before trade deadline...

Quote :

A new report today now has Minnesota showing interest in trading for Utah's Paul Millsap. Who might head to the Jazz if a deal is made? Here are the latest details.

ESPN's Chris Broussard tweets: "One of the teams Utah has talked to about Paul Millsap is Minnesota. The name of the very available Derrick Williams came up."

Lets figure for a second that Millsap and Williams are the two key pieces of the deal. Why might that work for both teams? From Utah's standpoint, they essentially flip an overachiever in Millsap who figures to sign elsewhere as an unrestricted free agent over the summer for an underachiever with upside in Williams who is locked up at a fairly reasonable rate for next year and in 2014-15 (team option). The Jazz have the cap space to gamble that the former No. 2 pick in 2011 will become a solid player if provided a chance of scenery.

This is a little more of a head-scratcher if you're Minnesota, which would likely also have to include a draft pick and/or someone like backup center Greg Stiemsma to make the deal work. Would Millsap be a guy they'd try to sign to a long-term deal after the season, perhaps as a replacement to Kevin Love? Or would this simply be a last-ditch effort to make a run at the playoffs (they trail No. 8 seed Houston by 7.5 games heading into Wednesday) with Millsap filling in at power forward until Love returns? If the answer is B, then such a deal would mostly just be a way to shed Williams' salary which seems a bit extreme since the second-year forward has actually played pretty well as of late and still has a reasonably bright future.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=2624
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 pm

TheMagnus wrote:
Here's a deal that doesn't make any sense for anybody involved, but still manages to take up space in the rumor frenzy that is the week before trade deadline...

Quote :

A new report today now has Minnesota showing interest in trading for Utah's Paul Millsap. Who might head to the Jazz if a deal is made? Here are the latest details.

ESPN's Chris Broussard tweets: "One of the teams Utah has talked to about Paul Millsap is Minnesota. The name of the very available Derrick Williams came up."

Lets figure for a second that Millsap and Williams are the two key pieces of the deal. Why might that work for both teams? From Utah's standpoint, they essentially flip an overachiever in Millsap who figures to sign elsewhere as an unrestricted free agent over the summer for an underachiever with upside in Williams who is locked up at a fairly reasonable rate for next year and in 2014-15 (team option). The Jazz have the cap space to gamble that the former No. 2 pick in 2011 will become a solid player if provided a chance of scenery.

This is a little more of a head-scratcher if you're Minnesota, which would likely also have to include a draft pick and/or someone like backup center Greg Stiemsma to make the deal work. Would Millsap be a guy they'd try to sign to a long-term deal after the season, perhaps as a replacement to Kevin Love? Or would this simply be a last-ditch effort to make a run at the playoffs (they trail No. 8 seed Houston by 7.5 games heading into Wednesday) with Millsap filling in at power forward until Love returns? If the answer is B, then such a deal would mostly just be a way to shed Williams' salary which seems a bit extreme since the second-year forward has actually played pretty well as of late and still has a reasonably bright future.

scratch

Well, at least this would free up PT for Favors & Kanter.

Williams would be alright, and still does have time to grow into a good player, but I can't say that I'd be excited about this one. Maybe the Jazz can turn into a safe-haven for underacheiving top 3 draft picks .... Kwame, Darco ... what are you guys up to?

If Ridnour was added to the pot, without the Jazz giving up any other real assests, then maybe it's worth considering. But Mo is getting back into it, so I don't even know if gettin Luke would be a big deal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BasketAppealGiftBaskets
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Quote :

scratch

Williams would be alright, and still does have time to grow into a good player, but I can't say that I'd be excited about this one. Maybe the Jazz can turn into a safe-haven for underacheiving top 3 draft picks .... Kwame, Darco ... what are you guys up to?

If Ridnour was added to the pot, without the Jazz giving up any other real assests, then maybe it's worth considering. But Mo is getting back into it, so I don't even know if gettin Luke would be a big deal.

I actually don't hate this concept...if the alternative is watching Paul walk this summer...and somehow turning Millsap into a PG of the future is not in the cards. If Minny tossed in Steimsma, (which I kind of like the idea of) or Ridnour, which I like better, call it a deal. While there is likely zero basis in this rumor, the Jazz would obviously not be better this year for it, but Favors would finally get his starting role going, the Jazz would have gotten still younger with what near as anyone can tell is a still viable developing talent and an upgrade at the backup PG. I mean really, who here thinks that both Paul and Al will be here next year? If the Jazz stand pat, which is likely, prepare for the 20-20 hindsight pissing and moaning to come when Paul signs elsewhere and the Jazz get nothing out of it except spending money. While we have all discussed getting that young PG-of-the-future, I have to think the Jazz feel good going forward with Mo, who based on his injury history and age is not going to command sick money in the FA market, wants to be in Utah, and could become the veteran glue guy for a stable of young studs.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:11 pm

MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Quote :

scratch

I actually don't hate this concept...if the alternative is watching Paul walk this summer...and somehow turning Millsap into a PG of the future is not in the cards. If Minny tossed in Steimsma, (which I kind of like the idea of) or Ridnour, which I like better, call it a deal. While there is likely zero basis in this rumor, the Jazz would obviously not be better this year for it, but Favors would finally get his starting role going, the Jazz would have gotten still younger with what near as anyone can tell is a still viable developing talent and an upgrade at the backup PG. I mean really, who here thinks that both Paul and Al will be here next year? If the Jazz stand pat, which is likely, prepare for the 20-20 hindsight pissing and moaning to come when Paul signs elsewhere and the Jazz get nothing out of it except spending money. While we have all discussed getting that young PG-of-the-future, I have to think the Jazz feel good going forward with Mo, who based on his injury history and age is not going to command sick money in the FA market, wants to be in Utah, and could become the veteran glue guy for a stable of young studs.

I'm on the exact opposite side of this. I'd rather have just 28 games of Paul Millsap/Jefferson and an opportunity to leverage the advantages of being the incumbent in Free Agency than trade off Millsap/Jefferson for pennies on the dollar. If the Jazz want role players they can get them in free agency without sacrificing anything for them.

Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Latest tweet from Marc Stein...

Quote :

Just under 20 hours left before trade deadline for stances to change, but mostly standing-pat rumbles coming from both Clipperland and Utah

Per MT's comment on "pissing and moaning" over keeping Millsap and Jefferson and then losing them for nothing. I think this issue has definitely polarized Jazz nation, almost as much as debating which one to keep if they have to chose one, but I personally feel like keeping them both right now is what I really want, and lose them or not, I'll be relieved and pleased if they both finish the season here. KOC and Lindsey know what they are doing, they've proven that, if they don't make a deal it will be because no deal was worth more than the opportunity to resign one of both of them or the cap space created by letting them go.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:46 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Quote :

Just under 20 hours left before trade deadline for stances to change, but mostly standing-pat rumbles coming from both Clipperland and Utah

Per MT's comment on "pissing and moaning" over keeping Millsap and Jefferson and then losing them for nothing. I think this issue has definitely polarized Jazz nation, almost as much as debating which one to keep if they have to chose one, but I personally feel like keeping them both right now is what I really want, and lose them or not, I'll be relieved and pleased if they both finish the season here. KOC and Lindsey know what they are doing, they've proven that, if they don't make a deal it will be because no deal was worth more than the opportunity to resign one of both of them or the cap space created by letting them go.

This may be true.... but it isn't nearly as exciting as making a mid-season trade! jocolor
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 6:14 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Quote :

This may be true.... but it isn't nearly as exciting as making a mid-season trade! jocolor

I was just fanning some flames. Emotionally, great, lets keep this crew together till the end of the year, the swan song of the Sap/Al era ends in April or early May. BUT...I do believe I read some compelling opinions that "letting players walk for nothing" just isn't smart in principle. At the time I was looking at the glass half full view that the Jazz would have shitloads of maneuverability then it was pointed out that: 1) Jazz don't typically do well in the FA market with player interest and, 2) Lindsey won't overpay for star power. I mean its not realistic, but what if the Jazz did re-sign Al, Sap, Mo, Foye, DC and picked up two low 1st round picks? Who likes the look of that team as building to contender status, (same as the old team), and how the hell would they come up with the money to extend Favors and Hayward who by all rights look to be heading towards better than average paydays for 4 year veterans? So, pizzing in the wind, but how can the Jazz ever get a sniff of contention again if there isn't some sort of pro-active personnel make-over? Yes, I trust the Jazz FO will somehow keep the Jazz competitive because that is the organizations DNA mandate, (having a good shot at the playoffs every year), but is this the top end?
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm

MTJazz wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
TheMagnus wrote:

Quote :

I was just fanning some flames. Emotionally, great, lets keep this crew together till the end of the year, the swan song of the Sap/Al era ends in April or early May. BUT...I do believe I read some compelling opinions that "letting players walk for nothing" just isn't smart in principle. At the time I was looking at the glass half full view that the Jazz would have shitloads of maneuverability then it was pointed out that: 1) Jazz don't typically do well in the FA market with player interest and, 2) Lindsey won't overpay for star power. I mean its not realistic, but what if the Jazz did re-sign Al, Sap, Mo, Foye, DC and picked up two low 1st round picks? Who likes the look of that team as building to contender status, (same as the old team), and how the hell would they come up with the money to extend Favors and Hayward who by all rights look to be heading towards better than average paydays for 4 year veterans? So, pizzing in the wind, but how can the Jazz ever get a sniff of contention again if there isn't some sort of pro-active personnel make-over? Yes, I trust the Jazz FO will somehow keep the Jazz competitive because that is the organizations DNA mandate, (having a good shot at the playoffs every year), but is this the top end?

Totally agree with the logic here, but when you look at the options for trade they aren't getting you any closer either.

In fact just letting everybody over the age of 26 walk may be the absolute best thing if you are looking to hit the home run ball in the draft or via free agency, and trading guys like Millsap and Jefferson who could be the second or third best players on a contender for lesser talent and/or late lottery picks would be the WORST thing they could do.

My favorite scenario involves resigning Millsap, Demarre, Mo and maybe Foye, letting everybody else go, getting one or two (think they should try to trade up to get who they want) new draft picks on board, and maybe scoring one high quality restricted free agent (if I'm dreaming that FA is Tyreke Evans).

PG: Mo, Draft pick
SG: Burks, Foye, Murphy
SF: Hayward, Williams, Carroll
PF: Millsap, Evans, Draft Pick(?)
C: Favors, Kanter

I love that team, I think it would be fun to watch, I think it wins 50+ games, and I think if you keep that group together for a couple years and make a couple smart pickups and you've got a borderline contender.

Lets face it, the Jazz aren't going to get the next KD or Lebron, but it may have the next Kevin Garnett, and the next Kevin Martin, and the next Al Jefferson** already on the roster. You add some high quality veterans like Mo and Paul to a group young players realizing their potential and you have a force to be reckoned with, you have a team that looks a lot like the 2004 Pistons.

**That comparison caught me totally by surprise, Enes cuts down on his turnovers and he's basically Jefferson circa 2006.
Back to top Go down
MTJazz
All Star
MTJazz

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm

TheMagnus wrote:

Totally agree with the logic here, but when you look at the options for trade they aren't getting you any closer either.

In fact just letting everybody over the age of 26 walk may be the absolute best thing if you are looking to hit the home run ball in the draft or via free agency, and trading guys like Millsap and Jefferson who could be the second or third best players on a contender for lesser talent and/or late lottery picks would be the WORST thing they could do.

My favorite scenario involves resigning Millsap, Demarre, Mo and maybe Foye, letting everybody else go, getting one or two (think they should try to trade up to get who they want) new draft picks on board, and maybe scoring one high quality restricted free agent (if I'm dreaming that FA is Tyreke Evans).

PG: Mo, Draft pick
SG: Burks, Foye, Murphy
SF: Hayward, Williams, Carroll
PF: Millsap, Evans, Draft Pick(?)
C: Favors, Kanter

I love that team, I think it would be fun to watch, I think it wins 50+ games, and I think if you keep that group together for a couple years and make a couple smart pickups and you've got a borderline contender.

Lets face it, the Jazz aren't going to get the next KD or Lebron, but it may have the next Kevin Garnett, and the next Kevin Martin, and the next Al Jefferson** already on the roster. You add some high quality veterans like Mo and Paul to a group young players realizing their potential and you have a force to be reckoned with, you have a team that looks a lot like the 2004 Pistons.

**That comparison caught me totally by surprise, Enes cuts down on his turnovers and he's basically Jefferson circa 2006.

That is a quality reply and I confess I kinda got excited looking at the player comparisons for equivalent periods in their careers. As for your proposed next year line-up it looks to me potentially as competitive as this year's model provided the growth trajectory of GH, Fav, Kanter and Burks keeps upward trending. Given the draft picks won't likely mean much for a couple years minimum, (unless gold is struck), it looks to me that the nexus of that model is the "key" FA pickups. It would be tough to replace Al's pts and rbs simply through more minutes for Favors/Kanter, so that FA would need to be at least one scorer and a serviceable big backup. I'm assuming, besides your well-known Sapitude, that you think that the Jazz could sign Sap for less money than Al, therefore we have more money to spend on a FA or two? As for draft picks, suddenly I am hearing noise that the draft gurus suddenly think this draft is deeper than the pundits had it originally?

Gonna be shocked if the Jazz make a move tomorrow. Hell, near as I can tell not a single team has made a move with about a half a day remaining. Could this end up to be the least activity ever on mid-season trades???
Back to top Go down
Richardale
All Star
Richardale

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Lakers Monitoring Raja Bell Situation

The Los Angeles Lakers may not make a blockbuster trade before tomorrow’s deadline, but they are keeping an eye on several role players around the league. One such player is Raja Bell of the Utah Jazz.

Bell is under contract with the Jazz, but he hasn’t been with the team all season. Over the offseason, Bell was highly critical of Jazz head coach Tyrone Corbin, which upset many people within the organization. Prior to training camp, Bell was told to stay away from the team. The two sides tried to negotiate a buyout earlier in the season, but could not reach an agreement.

The Lakers are monitoring the Bell situation because they believe he could be a significant contributor in L.A. Bell would provide perimeter defense, toughness and experience. Last season, the 36-year-old started 33 games and averaged 6.4 points for the Jazz.

Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni is very familiar with Bell since he coached him for three years on the Phoenix Suns. Bell also has a good relationship with Lakers point guard Steve Nash, since they started alongside each other in Phoenix. Sources close to the situation say that Kobe Bryant has also pushed for the Lakers to acquire Bell. Even though Bryant and Bell have had their differences (and clotheslines) in the past, sources say Bryant respects Bell and sees that he can help the team.

Bell is currently working out in Fort Lauderdale and he has made it clear that he wants to play this season. Sources close to Bell say that he would love for the Lakers to acquire him.

Bell’s 2013-14 salary is $3,480,000, which makes a trade difficult. However, Utah has already paid most of his salary for this year. With 56 days left in the season, Bell will be paid $1,082,000 for the remainder of the season. If he’s willing to leave a large portion of that on the table and agree to a buyout, he could sign with the Lakers and make most of that back. However, the Jazz would have to agree to that and they aren’t going to do anything unless it benefits them as well. The last thing the Jazz want to do is help the Lakers, especially since they’ll be fighting for the final seeds in the West down the stretch.
Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-pacers-open-to-moving-granger/#heGIhTISEzVJmzaV.99

If lakers put up 1st round pick? Naa' I think watching bell rot and not help anybody pass us and make playoffs. Getting way to much joy out of lakers sucking it up!
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:36 am

I'm for seeing if Bell can make any, repeat ANY, kind of difference again. I just don't see it happening- except for maybe a few games then his age will catch up again. I'll go on record to saying the Lakers won't catch Utah to make the playoffs this yr.

Haven't seen the schedule but if the Lakers play Utah again having Bell play some minutes for them.... Now that would be entertaining. Gordo or Burks would destroy Bell.
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 6:19 am

Favorite scenario:

The Jazz trade Millsap and a draft pick for Bledsoe and Odom... Odoms expiring contract is off the books this yr. The Clips may want to do this for reasons already listed since Odom basically sucks and Caron Butler isn't exactly a star anymore (insert Sap at sf or sometimes keep Jordan benched when teams feel foul-happy at the end of a close game and play Sap at pf.) The Clips will be hard-pressed to keep Bledsoe after next yr when they sign CP3, plus they get a draft pick!! Done deal right.... They can resign Millsap after this yr, or not, but they can make a run for the Championship this yr...especially since the only real way they'll make a run is if CP3 is healthy... Bledsoes minutes this yr in the playoffs are less valueable than what Millsap can bring to the table for them. If the Clips can't resign Millsap-- who cares right? They're the new great team with CP3 and Griffin...along with Jordan and Crawford having multiple yr deals--they are set....If they resign CP3....They'll be able to get a backup point to makeup for Bledsoe in a heartbeat..(talent goes to talent right Chauncey).

Still with me? Ok here goes OUR (the Jazz') deal to make us possibly better than the Clips, Heat, Thunder, and any team you can put together playing Xbox.. not to mention any team the Jazz have had in the past (not including a team with Stockton and Malone of course).

The new-look Jazz have an emerging star (or at least a guy that kicks the Sh@t outta our current guys not named Mo) in Bledsoe. He's cheap for next yr as well... AND.. it's possible "we'll" (meaning the Jazz) will lose Millsap in the FA market so make the trade happen... Like NOW (since it's the trade deadline today).
Here's the kicker
wait for it
it's coming
almost here
ok here it goes:

The Golden State Warriors are in a bit of a pickle folks. They have guys like Richard Jefferson signed for 2 yrs at 10 mill a yr, Biedrins at 9 mill a yr for 2 yrs, David :Lee for 4 yrs at 12+ mill a yr, and Bogut at 13 mil a yr for the next two yrs... Along with Curry they have ZERO wiggle room to resign Jarret Jack who's been Jacking it up like the guy you hate in the playground that's playing against you.. plus Jack can dish as well...Mr. Jack made 5.4 mill this yr which is sure to go up to around 8-9 million for the 29 yr olds last great contract... plus the Warriors already owe 1.2 mill in luxury tax this yr so there's no-way in Hellen he'll be back with them.

Insert KOC and Lindsey twiddling their thumbs and paying Jack 8.5 million this yr in free-agency in a 3 yr deal.

Now, obviously the Jazz will resign Al Jefferson once Millsap is gone.. The Jazz will have not one, but two, yes TWO point guards that can kick some tail going to the rack and they're perty dern good at defense. How's that well-rounded taste feel instead of a hurt MO or a couple old dudes not able to hit water if they threw a lure from a boat in still waters and they're more sober than a couple Jack Mormons fishing for a score. (note, I'm kinda a Mormon so shut it.)

So the final concensus is trading for Bledsoe, picking Jack up from free agency, getting Bledsoe ingrained into the community by having Baileys moving and storage have a couple SWEET commercial adds on tv (not to mention the $5000 buckaroos they'll pay our new young hero)... and the Jazz are set with a rising star, a great , possibly the best back-up point in the league in Jack and being set, SET, with our bigs... not to mention Burks and Gordo going off more-and-more like they're CFCP (coocoo for coaco puffs)..or however you spell it..

But make no mistake.. I spelled it write write now. This team will win a Championship (or at least make the playoffs baby):

PG -- Bledsoe, Jack, Foye
SG--Haywood, Burks, Murphy
SF--Williams, Carrol
PF--Kanter, Evans
C--Big Al, Favors

Heck, put Haywood at sf, start Haywood and Burks with Jack or Bledsoe and they're flying around the floor - making teams call a time-out just for a breather. TONS of cap room and TONS of excitement when we turn on the tube or go to the arena to see this good mix of veterans and youngsters go to battle.

Or the Jazz can stand pat, resign Sap and Big Al, have to move one or both of our other bigs in Favors and Kanter when their contracts expire and hope for a gold-strike in the draft with a point that needs to mature.

Last edited by aliveandkickin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 am

David Thorpe makes the case for Rajon Rondo to Utah...

Quote :

Four trade fits for Rajon Rondo

Utah Jazz

Utah has put together an impressive run, as the Jazz are solidly in the playoff race without an All-Star. They have a nice combination of young and veteran players, and enough assets to get Rondo without having to empty their basket of talent. Wing shooter Gordon Hayward is developing nicely, as are young bigs like Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors.

But those two make veterans Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap surplus. And even after a trade for Rondo, the Jazz can feature size, skill, scoring, rebounding and athletic talent. But I like Rondo here for another reason: When Utah was at its best, back in the Deron Williams days, it had a terrific offense that often inverted. That is to say, big guys Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur could screen and shape out on the floor, while Williams and Ronnie Brewer could beat up smaller players inside.

The Jazz ranked 22nd in offensive efficiency when Williams was a rookie, then finished third, first and eighth (twice), respectively, over the next four seasons.

Rondo is one of the best offensive rebounding point guards in the league, even without playing in a system that features inversion the way Utah used to. Rondo is not yet ready to be a featured post-up player, but he has the tools to be an excellent one given how he is crafty, long, ultraquick and brilliant at passing to cutters or spot shooters. Tyrone Corbin knows how to play "Jazz basketball," and with Rondo at the helm, I think Utah can get back to being a top-eight offensive team, maybe a top-five squad (it currently ranks 10th). Also, Rondo would greatly improve their defense and overall intensity while filling the leadership gap that has existed since Williams was traded.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8966244/nba-four-trade-targets-make-sense-rajon-rondo

Hypothetical deal from the trade machine...

Rajon Rondo + Jason Terry for Millsap + Alec burks + RBEC + GS Pick

Utah gets Rondo...next season, and Terry. Boston gets Millsap (they DESPERATELY need help at PF), Burks, a first round pick, and the trade puts them below the luxury tax line. It makes the Jazz better for the future with the young players and it makes the Celtics better this year for one last run at a championship with Pierce and KG.

So I think it makes some sense, but still, do you think either team would go for this?
Back to top Go down
aliveandkickin
Starter

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 am

Nope. The Celts without Rondo and adding an undersized Millsap is ridiculous. Burks will be good for them but he needs reps.
The Jazz would jump at this in a second. Rondo is a difference-maker, a proven playoff stud. When Rondo is gone from the Celts they are first round and out having a serviceable but incomplete player like Millsap trying to fill his shoes.

History is your advanced stat check on this one Mags.
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 am

Mag, surprised you like Tyreke Evans. Just seems like a guy that you particularly wouldn't care for, just saying. Me, I dont know. I dont see wanting to start Tyreke over Foye in the current starting 5. And Burks is a quicker version of Evans IMO.

Raja Bell: if the Lakers want him, good riddance. Pick, D-league player, $$, whatever.

Rondo to Utah for Millsap/Burks etc. I may have turned a corner here, but I want Millsap to stay, and Al to go instead. I feel like Utah would rather keep Paul too. For the Celtics, though KG has been playing C, he still is up at the elbow, and shooting midrange jumpers all game. Having a legit back to the basket post up player in Al, is a much better fit IMO. Also, legit bigs kill Miami. Thats the only way for the C's to get their last shot. Al goes back to the Celtics where he started, I like it. Not to mention, Al doesn't need a great passer to be successful. He just needs someone who can dump it into him, so Avery Bradley would be fine there with Al. With that said, we keep Burks in Utah....dont be like Sac, and start giving up your lotto picks way too soon. Burks is going to be pretty freaking good.

For Utah, I love love Rondo here. He's a pass first PG and gets a tremendous amount of steals...sound familiar? He's also young, what a great group of young guys to grow together! With that, we ride out the year with Mo, tell him we really appreciate him, but good luck. I want to keep and re-sign Paul here, and having Rondo here hitting Paul in all the right spots as he's constantly moving would be an awesome 1-2 punch. Favors having a guy like Rondo who can throw a great lob, or hit him for the quick hitters etc. THAT, is a great fit. Admittedly, we lose a 3pt shooter having Rondo out there. But with Foye on the wing, we're alright. Gordo has shown he's a very good 3pt shooter now, and now that Burks as gotten minutes, his outside shooting is showing to be solid too.

So, what do we do?? Would teams do this? I'm not looking at the trade machine but:

Al+GS pick for Rondo, Terry ? Celtics make their run NOW, with great low-post scoring plus all that is Pierce and KG doing his thing. They also get the 1st round pick.

Utah? Sh.........., we're good! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 am

aliveandkickin wrote:
Nope. The Celts without Rondo and adding an undersized Millsap is ridiculous. Burks will be good for them but he needs reps.
The Jazz would jump at this in a second. Rondo is a difference-maker, a proven playoff stud. When Rondo is gone from the Celts they are first round and out having a serviceable but incomplete player like Millsap trying to fill his shoes.

History is your advanced state check on this one Mags.

Two things here, #1, Rondo is gone from the Celtics this year and the door is slamming shut on the Celtics as a contender as we speak, one more year makes them worse and not better, if Rondo is their best player (which he never has been) they don't even make the playoffs, much less win in the first round, this is really their last shot. #2 Millsap doesn't replace Rondo, they have already replaced Rondo with decent results, he replaces Brandon Bass and Jeff Green.

Millsap would be the best player on the Celtics team if they picked him up, but clearly you continue to undervalue him, bet you'd still like to trade him for Dirk....
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 am

Mutangclan wrote:
Mag, surprised you like Tyreke Evans. Just seems like a guy that you particularly wouldn't care for, just saying. Me, I dont know. I dont see wanting to start Tyreke over Foye in the current starting 5. And Burks is a quicker version of Evans IMO.

Raja Bell: if the Lakers want him, good riddance. Pick, D-league player, $$, whatever.

Rondo to Utah for Millsap/Burks etc. I may have turned a corner here, but I want Millsap to stay, and Al to go instead. I feel like Utah would rather keep Paul too. For the Celtics, though KG has been playing C, he still is up at the elbow, and shooting midrange jumpers all game. Having a legit back to the basket post up player in Al, is a much better fit IMO. Also, legit bigs kill Miami. Thats the only way for the C's to get their last shot. Al goes back to the Celtics where he started, I like it. Not to mention, Al doesn't need a great passer to be successful. He just needs someone who can dump it into him, so Avery Bradley would be fine there with Al. With that said, we keep Burks in Utah....dont be like Sac, and start giving up your lotto picks way too soon. Burks is going to be pretty freaking good.

For Utah, I love love Rondo here. He's a pass first PG and gets a tremendous amount of steals...sound familiar? He's also young, what a great group of young guys to grow together! With that, we ride out the year with Mo, tell him we really appreciate him, but good luck. I want to keep and re-sign Paul here, and having Rondo here hitting Paul in all the right spots as he's constantly moving would be an awesome 1-2 punch. Favors having a guy like Rondo who can throw a great lob, or hit him for the quick hitters etc. THAT, is a great fit. Admittedly, we lose a 3pt shooter having Rondo out there. But with Foye on the wing, we're alright. Gordo has shown he's a very good 3pt shooter now, and now that Burks as gotten minutes, his outside shooting is showing to be solid too.

So, what do we do?? Would teams do this? I'm not looking at the trade machine but:

Al+GS pick for Rondo, Terry ? Celtics make their run NOW, with great low-post scoring plus all that is Pierce and KG doing his thing. They also get the 1st round pick.

Utah? Sh.........., we're good! Very Happy

Thought about that, and it's what I would prefer too, but I don't think Jefferson alone is enough to get it done, Boston will want one of the young guys too, and if you add them in then the salaries get tricky because you have to fit the trade into the window where it keeps both teams below the tax line. I also think that at this point in his career Garnett is really a C, he has trouble keeping up with a lot of the quicker PF's in the NBA now, so picking up Millsap to man the PF spot makes sense.

I do like Tyreke, I think he has had some struggles to find his place but I think he's really playing well now on the wing. Him and Hayward would be monstrous together.
Back to top Go down
outerspacefan
Starter
outerspacefan

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 am

Jazz' got the ability to consistently initiate and make plays from the wing/off-guard spots (Burks, Hayward, Foye) so I think good shooting ability will be important from our PG position. Rondo's not a very good shooter.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 am

outerspacefan wrote:
Jazz' got the ability to consistently initiate and make plays from the wing/off-guard spots (Burks, Hayward, Foye) so I think good shooting ability will be important from our PG position. Rondo's not a very good shooter.

But Hayward and Foye are both great shooters, and Burks is showing some promise there too. The Celtics (and previously the Jazz) played with only two shooters (sometimes only one) on the floor with excellent results offensively.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 am

TheMagnus wrote:

Thought about that, and it's what I would prefer too, but I don't think Jefferson alone is enough to get it done, Boston will want one of the young guys too, and if you add them in then the salaries get tricky because you have to fit the trade into the window where it keeps both teams below the tax line. I also think that at this point in his career Garnett is really a C, he has trouble keeping up with a lot of the quicker PF's in the NBA now.

I do like Tyreke, I think he has had some struggles to find his place but I think he's really playing well now on the wing. Him and Hayward would be monstrous together.

If the Celts are looking to make one last run & then build for the future, they may be more interested in say... Rondo & Bass for Sap & Mo, plus a pick or two. Mo would give them a better chance than Burks for this year, and the picks(s) would help with the whole "future" thing. Bass is on the books for 3 years @ $6 mil, but would be an excellent 3rd or 4th big, and worth taking on to get Rondo.

Or Al + RBEC and a couple picks for the same Rondo/Bass package would works as well.

If the Jazz didn't have to give up any of their young talent, and got a top-notch PG (Rondo), I'd be fine with trading both of this years first rounders. The team wound't need them if this trade were to go down. The Jazz would already be plenty young & have a real PG to get them all going. A couple filler FA's and the team would be set for next year.

I agree about Tyreke. I would be very happy to get him on board. His talent has been wasted on SAC.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 am

Just saw that Boston has been linked with discussions for Tyreke and Josh Smith, with Rondo's name comming up in both conversations. I think Ainge may actually be trying to deal Garnett and Pierce though...
Back to top Go down
Mutangclan
Hall Of Famer
Mutangclan

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:48 am

Sources tell Rotoworld that the Kings are open to moving Tyreke Evans and Aaron Brooks.
This isn't too surprising given the state of affairs in Sacramento, as they recently traded No. 5 overall pick Thomas Robinson in a salary dump for a modest, or as some would say awful return of Patrick Patterson and spare parts. Brooks was widely known to be on the block, but news of Evans' availability is new. We'll let you know more as the story develops. Marc Stein adds that Boston is revisiting old talks about Evans, and sources tell us Utah might also emerge in talks. Jason Jones just updated that Evans will not be dealt, but it's early.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:10 am

• Ken Berger, CBSSports.com: Josh Smith is not opposed to Milwaukee — the city or the weather — and likes the Bucks’ roster enough to re-sign there if traded, a league source told CBSSports.com Wednesday. … Milwaukee’s chances of landing the 6-foot-9 forward were viewed in some league circles as diminished by the team’s small-market and cold-weather status. Smith, however, is more interested in the talent he’ll be playing with than geography.

If that is so, then he "talent" in Utah is better than Milwaukee. Of coarse, if Smith is wanting a max deal, then I don't think the Jazz would be very interested in that.
Back to top Go down
TheMagnus
Admin
TheMagnus

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 am

It's kind of funny, but a lot of comments I'm seeing indicate that a lot of NBA GM's are basically just like our buddy Boz in the fantasy leagues, they just throw ridiculous trade offers out at everybody and see if something sticks. Supposedly that is how Houston landed Robinson, they were just fishing, making offers around the league for players they liked, and the Kings bit.
Back to top Go down
zero24gravity
Admin
zero24gravity

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Bill Oram: Jazz haven't communicated to Paul Millsap's camp whether he could be on the move or not. Fits team M.O. Twitter @tribjazz

Bill Oram @tribjazz about 5 minutes ago
Jazz took today off, so there will be no relying on ol' who is and who isn't at practice trick.

Brad Rock @therockmonster about 18 minutes ago
OK, so maybe Jazz will do zippo today. That isn't gonna happen next summer. I can wait. #Jazz

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2LYg8sgzG

uhhhhh .... guess that's really not news. silent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rumors, rumors, rumors   Rumors, rumors, rumors - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rumors, rumors, rumors
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next